India is new Australia, says Abdul QadirNovember 10th, 2008 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Nov 10 (IANS) Pakistan’s legendary spinner Abdul Qadir said Monday that India is the ‘new Australia’ of the cricket world after it blanked Ricky Ponting’s men 2-0 in a four-match Test series in Nagpur.Qadir, who is widely tipped to take over as Pakistan’s new chief selector, said winning two Tests in a four-match series against Australia was a huge feat.
“I believe that India is now the new Australia of Test cricket. By beating the Aussies in the four-Test series, India has proved that it is now the world’s best team,” said Qadir.
India defeated Australia by 172 runs on the final day of the fourth and final Test in Nagpur to complete a stunning 2-0 series win.
But two of its greatest Test cricketers - Anil Kumble and Sourav Ganguly - announced their retirements.
Qadir said India will miss their presence in the near future. “I believe that both Kumble and Ganguly were two great assets of the Indian team and they will be missed in the coming months,” he said.
Qadir said Pakistan, which is scheduled to host India in Jan-Feb for three Tests, five One-day Internationals and a Twenty20 International, will have to give its best to be able to counter the rampaging Indians. “India is in form and Pakistan will have to make a Herculean effort to beat them,” he concluded.
- Australia beat India by 122 runs at MCG (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- England will get a chance to claim No.1 Test spot - Jul 14, 2011
- England deserve to be No.1 Test team: ICC - Aug 13, 2011
- India to play extra warm-up game in Australia - Oct 05, 2011
- Groom more youngsters like Kohli, say Indian fans - Mar 25, 2012
- Let us accept we were very ordinary: Ganguly - Aug 13, 2011
- Tag of 'poor tourists' may haunt India again, fears Ganguly - Jan 11, 2012
- India will win in West Indies, but England will be tough: Ganguly - Jun 03, 2011
- We have always put the team first: Clarke - Jan 06, 2012
- Vaughan predicts a 4-0 whitewash of India - Aug 08, 2011
- Pakistan should not get carried away by T20 triumph over Oz, say former greats - Jul 08, 2010
- India's cricket reputation lies in tatters - Aug 14, 2011
- Australia will whitewash India, says McGrath - Jan 02, 2012
- Pakistan justified 'unpredictable side' tag by losing T20 against Windies: Qadir - Apr 23, 2011
- Lack of strategists in Pak's think-tank behind England tour debacle: Abdul Qadir - Aug 10, 2010