India is Australia’s largest source of permanent migrantsJuly 20th, 2012 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 20 (IANS) Surpassing China and Britain, India has become the largest source of permanent migrants for Australia.
“India has surpassed China and the United Kingdom as the largest source of permanent migrants with 25,509 and 25,274 places respectively.” Australian High Commissioner Peter Varghese said in a press statement here Friday.
“Indian migrants comprised a total of 29,018 places or 15.7 percent of the total migration of 185,000 places under the 2011-12 permanent migration programme,” he added.
Commenting on the figures, Australia’s Immigration and Citizenship Minister Chris Bowen said: “The Indian community has made a valuable contribution to economic, social and cultural life in Australia, and I know this will continue with more Indians choosing to make their home here.”
According to the statement, seven of the top 10 sources countries in Australia’s 2011-12 migration programme are from Asia: India, China, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, South Korea and Vietnam.
“Skilled migration accounted for over two-thirds of Australia’s total migration programme, with a 2011-12 skill stream outcome of 125,755 places,” it added.
- Australia wants skilled migrants from India: Envoy - Jan 14, 2011
- Australia revamps skilled migration test - Nov 11, 2010
- Labour lawmaker demands Oz Govt explanation on move to seek skilled Indian migrants - Jan 21, 2011
- Excellent English skills made mandatory for foreign students seeking residency in Oz - Nov 12, 2010
- Australia eases norms to woo highly-skilled immigrants - Jun 17, 2011
- Pakistan hikes defence budget by 10 percent - Jun 02, 2012
- Australia to cancel 20,000 visa applications - Feb 08, 2010
- Indian migrant workers to get skills training - Jul 02, 2012
- India biggest source of migrants to Australia - May 27, 2010
- UK decision to cap non-EU immigrants may hit Indian students - Sep 06, 2010
- Remittances to India rose to $64 billion in 2011: World Bank - Apr 27, 2012
- 10 mn Indians wish to move to US: Gallup poll - Apr 25, 2012
- 'Extend rural job scheme to urban areas' - Mar 15, 2012
- Rise in Indian students opting for Australia - Jul 05, 2011
- ONGC reports Q1 net profit of Rs.6,078 crore - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: asia, australia india, australian high commissioner, chris bowen, commissioner peter, immigration and citizenship, india china, indian migrants, indians, New Delhi, philippines, skill stream, skilled migration, south korea, sri lanka, two thirds, united kingdom, varghese, vietnam