India in touch with US government over shootingAugust 6th, 2012 - 1:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 6 (IANS) The Indian government Monday termed as “shocking” and “deplorable” the shooting incident in a Sikh gurdwara in Wisconsin in which a gunman shot dead six people and said it was in touch with US authorities over the matter.
Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur told a television channel that India’s Ambassador Nirupama Rao had sent a special officer to Wisconsin.
A gunman opened fire in a Sikh gurdwara in Oak Creek of Wisconsin, south of Milwaukee, killing seven people.
The minister also said the security of gurdwaras and other religious places of communities in the US should be taken care of.
“It is a very shocking and tragic incident that has taken place, which is deplorable,” said Preneet Kaur.
“We have been in touch with the government and our ambassador there Nirupama Rao has sent a special officer from Washington to Wisconsin, and also the consul general in Chicago is taking care,” she added.
Preneet Kaur also said the US has assured full investigation of the incident.
“The American government has reached out and we are in touch with the law officers there. We hope that the perpetrators would be brought to book,” she added.
- India in touch with US over gurudwara killing (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: FBI looks for motive, India shocked (Fourth Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- India shocked as FBI hunts for gurdwara killings' motive (Third Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Punjab to pay for transporting bodies of gurdwara victims - Aug 07, 2012
- 'Their tears would make an ocean overflow' - Aug 08, 2012
- US assures India of full probe into gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Four Indians among 6 killed in gurdwara shooting - Aug 07, 2012
- India reaches out to families hit by US gurdwara shooting - Aug 07, 2012
- 7 killed, 3 critically hurt in shooting at US gurudwara (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Obama orders US flag at half mast after gurdwara killing - Aug 07, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: FBI hunts for motive (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Several injured in shooting at US gurudwara - Aug 06, 2012
- Badal to visit Milwaukee gurdwara, meet kin of killed - Aug 07, 2012
- Bollywood condemns gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: ambassador, american government, authorities, consul general, external affairs, gunman opened fire, gurdwaras, India, indian government, milwaukee, minister of state, New Delhi, nirupama rao, perpetrators, religious places, sikh gurdwara, television channel, tragic incident