India hopeful fishermen captured by Sri Lanka will be releasedJuly 24th, 2012 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) India said Tuesday it has been pressing Sri Lanka for the early release of 23 its fishermen who were captured by Sri Lankan Navy on Saturday. The fishermen have been remanded till August 6.
“Yesterday, the Indian high commissioner had met Sri Lanka’s attorney general in Colombo,” Syed Akbaruddin, the external affairs ministry spokesperson, told reporters here. He added that the foreign office also discussed the issue with Sri Lanka’s high commission in New Delhi. Sri Lankan authorities have assured India about the early release of the fishermen. We have no reason to disbelieve them,” he said.
An Indian diplomat in Sri Lanka met the fishermen in Mannar Monday and reported they were in good health.
Sri Lankan Navy personnel allegedly chased some Indian boats and arrested 23 Tamil Nadu fishermen when they were operating near Katchatheevu in the Palk Straits on Saturday midnight.
The fishermen were produced in a Mannar court Monday and were remanded till August 6. The fishermen’s associations in Rameswaram have mounted pressure, calling for an indefinite strike till all the fishermen, including the five held on drug peddling charges on November 11, are released.
- India asks Sri Lanka to free fishermen - Jul 26, 2012
- India asks Sri Lanka to free Indian fishermen - Jul 23, 2012
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Prime Minister asked to take up fishermen arrest issue with Sri Lanka - Jul 23, 2012
- 23 Indian fishermen released by Sri Lanka: Krishna - Jul 27, 2012
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Tamil Nadu fishermen sail out for Sri Lankan festival - Feb 28, 2010
- Take strong stand against Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Nov 07, 2011
- Indian fishermen to be freed soon: Sri Lanka - Jun 23, 2011
- Secure fishermen's release from Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Jul 05, 2012
- India should assert with Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa - Nov 16, 2011
- Jayalalithaa seeks PM's help to free fishermen (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Secure release of Indian fishermen in Sri Lanka, PM urged - Jun 08, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka to jointly develop fisheries - Jan 15, 2012
- Sri Lanka releases 136 Indian fishermen - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: attorney general, external affairs ministry, fishermen, foreign office, good health, indefinite strike, India, indian boats, indian diplomat, indian high commissioner, mannar, New Delhi, november 11, palk straits, rameswaram, spokesperson, sri lanka, sri lankan authorities, sri lankan navy, tamil