India hails Olympic silver medallist Sushil KumarAugust 12th, 2012 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) Moments after Sushil Kumar bagged a silver medal at the London Olympics Sunday, the grappler’s name became the buzzword in the nation.
The 29-year-old was awarded the silver in the men’s 66kg freestyle wrestling, and became the first Indian to win two individual Olympic medals. He had already won the bronze in Beijing 2008.
Cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar tweeted: “Sushil has done us proud by winning India its second silver medal. We are proud of his dedication, commitment and effort. Well done Sushil!!”
M.C. Mary Kom, who became the first Indian female boxer to win an Olympic medal with a bronze in London, tweeted: “We are proud of you Sushil Kumar. You are Champion.”
Another London Games bronze medallist, shuttler Saina Nehwal, said: “All Indians should be happy that we got six medals and I am delighted that I got one of them. For me, Sushil’s silver is as good as a gold. This is going to be the best Independence Day.”
Gagan Narang, who opened the account for India at the London Games by winning the bronze in men’s 10-metre air rifle shooting, said: “This is a great show by Indian wrestling. Sushil has inspired a new generation of wrestlers. This time he has gone one step ahead and created history.”
India’s pace bowler Zaheer Khan tweeted,” Well done #SushilKumar on winning silver medal in #Olympics2012.”
Indian politicians were also not far behind in applauding the grappler. Apart from union Sports Minister Ajay Maken, who lauded Sushil’s performance, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi also congratulated the 29-year-old.
“Sushil Kumar does India proud yet again by winning the Silver Medal at the Olympics. Heartiest congratulations to him!,” Modi tweeted.
Leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj also tweeted, “Heartiest congratulations to Sushil for winning Olympic Silver medal for the country.”
- Andhra celebrates second bronze medal at Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- After wrestlers, Mary Kom gets frenzied reception - Aug 14, 2012
- India's medal winners at London Olympics - Aug 12, 2012
- Celebrities hail bronze medallist Yogeshwar - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana announces Rs.1.5 crore reward, land for Sushil - Aug 12, 2012
- Medal will motivate me to bigger things: Saina Nehwal - Aug 17, 2012
- India will aim at 25 medals in 2020 Olympics - Aug 16, 2012
- India's who's who tweet on Narang's feat - Jul 30, 2012
- Lok Sabha congratulates Olympics medal winners - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil assures 6th medal for India (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- Sushil, Yogeshwar return home to hero's welcome - Aug 14, 2012
- Olympics: President congratulates Vijay on winning silver - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil first to win back-to-back medals (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- President felicitates Olympic medal winners - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: ajay maken, beijing 2008, bronze medallist, female boxer, freestyle wrestling, grappler, history india, indian politicians, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, london games, narang, olympic medal, olympic medals, olympic silver medal, olympic silver medallist, saina nehwal, sushil kumar, union sports, zaheer khan