India good enough to bounce back: KirstenOctober 7th, 2011 - 3:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 7 (IANS) Former India coach Gary Kirsten admitted being disappointed by the team’ recent performance in England but feels they are a good enough side to bounce back.
India were blanked 0-4 in the Tests and 0-3 in the ODIs by England in the over a month long tour. England are now in India for the five-match ODI series, which begins Oct 14 in Hyderabad.
Kirsten felt India’s performance could be because of loss of momentum.
“It’s been a little bit sad to watch them not play well because there was much anticipation around that series in England. Also with Duncan (Fletcher) coming in as new coach and he’s just been there for a couple of months, he needs to stamp his mark about what he’s going to do. I guess it was always going to be a difficult time upfront,” Kirsten, who is now coaching South Africa, was quoted as saying in espncricinfo.
“But it has surprised me. The injuries haven’t helped. For me, they’re a good enough cricket team that they can come back. It has been a disappointment. They probably lost a bit of momentum.”
Kirsten also praised England for their performance.
“England are a quality cricket team. They are well coached, have a good structure, good people, they have stability in their team and are putting India under pressure. I don’t think they’d been put under pressure (by India) in the whole series.”
- Handling the media will be Fletcher's biggest challenge: Vaughan - Apr 27, 2011
- Fletcher to take over Indian cricket team after Windies tour (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Fletcher favours more opportunities for Indian youngsters - Jun 17, 2011
- India focussed on Mumbai ODI, not 5-0 whitewash: Rahane - Oct 22, 2011
- I will learn from the Indian team: Fletcher - Jul 15, 2011
- Duncan Fletcher appointed Indian cricket team coach - Apr 27, 2011
- Duncan Fletcher appointed India's cricket coach - Apr 27, 2011
- Swann thanks Fletcher for ignoring him for 7 years - Jul 19, 2011
- Kirsten and his merry men did India proud (Lead) - Apr 03, 2011
- With Fletcher, it's advantage India: Bell - Jul 18, 2011
- Australian's wary of Fletcher's appointment as India's coach - Apr 27, 2011
- Great chance for youngsters to perform, says Raina - May 31, 2011
- Indian cricket in a very healthy state: Fletcher - Jun 12, 2011
- Fletcher likely to attend Friday's selection committee meeting - May 09, 2011
- Open to coaching India: Ganguly - Sep 06, 2012