India gears up to host BRICS summit in MarchDecember 23rd, 2011 - 5:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 23 (IANS) India has kicked off preparations to host leaders of the five-nation BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) grouping in March with a competition to design a logo for the 2012 summit.
This will be the fourth BRICS summit that will bring together the leaders of the emerging economic powers to discuss a host of global issues.
However, India hosts the BRICS summit for the first time since the first summit was held in the Russian city of Yekaterinburg in June 2009.
At that time, South Africa was not part of the grouping that was called BRIC, a term coined by Goldman Sachs economist Jim O’Neill to denote the four fastest-growing emerging economies of the world.
Pretoria joined the BRIC, changing the nomenclature of the grouping to BRICS, only in April 2011 at the Sanya summit in China.
According to sources, preparations have already begun. External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna is expected to visit the capitals of BRICS countries in the next two months to invite the leaders of these countries for the New Delhi summit.
The summit will take place against the backdrop of the deepening global financial crisis with the recession in the eurozone stubbornly persisting, darkening the outlook for a substantial recovery any time soon.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is also expected to meet the leaders of China, Brazil, Russia and South Africa for bilateral talks on the margins of the summit.
As an initial step, the external affairs ministry has announced a competition for design of a logo for the BRICS Summit 2012. The competition is open to all all Indians (resident and non-resident Indian citizens, as well as overseas citizens of India and Persons of Indian Origin). The last date for submissions is Jan 7, 2012.
The logo, says the ministry’s explanatory note, should bring out the essence of this grouping of countries, which has received ?unprecedented global attention in recent years and now occupies a prominent space in the global political and economic landscape?.
The BRICS summit will be the first major diplomatic event India will be hosting in 2012. New Delhi will also host the first commemorative India-Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in December next year.
- BRICS Summit - Facts at a glance - Mar 28, 2012
- BRICS can transform global governance: India - Mar 05, 2012
- BRICS summit to focus on fixing global recession: India - Jan 31, 2012
- BRICS academics to flesh out agenda for summit - Mar 03, 2012
- India, China, Russia to jointly tackle global issues - Apr 13, 2012
- BRICS to sign pacts for trade in local currencies - Mar 26, 2012
- BRICS to explore setting up development bank - Mar 07, 2012
- Chinese unleash BRICS charm offensive - Mar 28, 2012
- Chinese unleash BRICS charm offensive (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- BRICS source of stability in time of recession: PM - Dec 15, 2011
- India a serious partner, BRICS a global entity: Medvedev - Mar 29, 2012
- Manmohan Singh meets Russian President Dmitry Medvedev - Apr 13, 2011
- Manmohan Singh meets Chinese President Hu Jintao - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS steps up joint efforts to reform global governance (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- BRICS to sign unique pact at Sanya to use own currencies for lending and grants - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: bilateral talks, economic powers, emerging economies, external affairs minister, external affairs ministry, global attention, global financial crisis, goldman sachs, india china, indian citizens, indian origin, initial step, manmohan singh, o neill, overseas citizens, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, russian city, substantial recovery, yekaterinburg