India, France to bond over new age dance Nov 2-8October 18th, 2011 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 18 (IANS) An Indo-French Festival of Contemporary Dance, “DanSe Dialogues” Nov 2-8 will bring contemporary and alternative dances practices to the capital to popularise new age
dance in India, the French embassy said Tuesday.
The festival will host performances by leading Indian contemporary dancers Navtej Singh Johar, Anusha Lall, Aditi Mangaldas, Mandeep Raiky and French masters like Brahim Bouchelaghem and Philippe Priasso.
The festival will be presented by the embassy, Alliance Francaise, Institut Francais and the Indian Council for Cultural Relations.
“Dance being a common fascination for our respective cultures, organising a substantial festival in this area became inevitable,” said Max Claudet, counsellor (Cooperation and Cultural Action) of the French embassy.
ICCR Director General Suresh K Goel said said the performances in Delhi were part of Delhi International Arts Festival beginning Nov 1. The festival will also tour Chennai and Bangalore.
Besides the performances, the highlight of the festival will a series of dance workshops at the Natya Ballet Centre Nov 5-7.
A session, “Hip Hop” by Brahim Boucheaghem will touch on different hip hop dances like “break, locking, popping and boogaloo”.
A contemporary dance workshop by Philippe Priasso will teach participants to create their own dance and ways to use one’s technique as a means of expressing one’s creativity.
Contemporary dancer and Bharatnatyam exponent Navtej Johar will conduct “Yoga For Dancers”, a workshop to teach breathing and strengthening exercises to young dancers while Anusha Lall will try to bridge the gap between traditional Bharatnatyam and new practises in a workshop.
The workshops will be supported by the Gati Dance Company.
- Hip hop dancers from slum find French connection - Nov 07, 2011
- Ignite Fest will be based on Indian classical dances (With Image) - Nov 03, 2010
- Indian idioms for free-style western performances? The debate grows (Lifestyle Feature) (With Images) - Jun 29, 2012
- Delhi arts fest to kick off with ode to Tagore - Oct 30, 2011
- Cultures have to coexist for dialogue: French dance guru - Nov 04, 2011
- Three-week festival of India in Israel - May 02, 2011
- Latino dance-music fiesta to enthrall Delhi - Apr 04, 2012
- German artists connect to India with hip-hop graffiti - Dec 09, 2011
- Ethiopian dance, food fiesta in Delhi (With Images) - Oct 20, 2011
- Darsheel out of 'Jhalak Dikkhla Jaa 5' - Sep 01, 2012
- Kathak by Chinese, kathakali by German at global fest (With Images) - Jul 23, 2010
- Bollywood: Classical Dance Forms Vanished Into Oblivion - Jan 06, 2011
- Gurgaon to host world festival of Latin American dance - Jul 23, 2009
- Today is Madonna's birthday - Aug 16, 2011
- Indian dancer set for 'confrontation' with French jazz (With Image) - Jun 11, 2011
Tags: aditi, anusha, ballet centre, brahim, contemporary dance, dance in india, dance workshop, dance workshops, delhi international, french embassy, french festival, french masters, hip hop dances, johar, lall, mandeep, max claudet, natya, raiky, strengthening exercises