India forges diplomatic ties with ‘Wi-Fi nation’September 4th, 2012 - 4:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 4 (IANS) Niue? What’s new? Last week, India quietly established formal diplomatic relations with Niue, a South Pacific island of 1,400 inhabitants, which is better known as the world’s first “Wi-Fi nation”, in which free wireless Internet access is provided throughout the country.
Minister of State for External Affairs E. Ahamed and Prime Minister of Niue Toke Talagi signed a joint communique on the establishment of diplomatic relations between India and Niue, at Cook Islands, on Aug 30, the external affairs ministry said here Tuesday.
The signing ceremony took place on the sidelines of the the 16-nation Pacific Islands Forum (PIF) in which India participates as a dialogue partner.
Niue is a member of regional bodies such as the Pacific Island Forum, the Pacific Community, the UNESCO and the WTO.
Better known the “Rock of Polynesia”, Niue is 2,400 km northeast of New Zealand in a triangle between Tonga to the southwest, the Samoas to the northwest and the Cook Islands to the southeast.
A self-governing island, Niue is in free association with New Zealand, its biggest trading partner.
Except for defence and foreign relations, Niue runs its own affairs. All Niueans are New Zealand citizens.
- UN support: India to seek Pacific island nations' support - Aug 28, 2012
- Niue - the only country with no diplomatic ties with India - Aug 11, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Tonga, no damage reported - Dec 26, 2011
- Pacific Islands hit by a 4 meter Tsunami - Sep 30, 2009
- Fiji calls suspension from Pacific Islands Forum 'regrettable' - May 03, 2009
- Tsunami hits Pacific Islands (Hawaii under threat) - Updated - Sep 30, 2009
- 850 athletes and officials to arrive today to participate Delhi CW Games - Sep 28, 2010
- Tsunami hits Pacific Islands (Hawaii under threat) - Sep 30, 2009
- Strong 6.4-magnitude earthquake jolts the Pacific Ocean near Tonga - Sep 23, 2011
- Fiji hopes against suspension from regional bloc - Apr 29, 2009
- At least 91 dead, scores missing after quake, tsunamis devastate Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Massive earthquake rocks the Pacific Ocean - Oct 08, 2009
- China helped create political instability in Pacific islands: Wikileaks - Dec 20, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits off Tonga, no damage expected - Oct 12, 2010
- At least 122 dead in Chile quake, tsunami warnings continue (Update) - Feb 28, 2010