India for political solution in Sri LankaJune 4th, 2009 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 4 (IANS) With the Tamil Tigers decimated, India Thursday pledged to support initiatives aimed at finding a permanent political solution in Sri Lanka to ensure equal rights to the Tamil minority.
“We will support initiatives in Sri Lanka which can lead to a permanent political solution of the conflict there, and ensure that all Sri Lankan communities, especially the Tamils, feel secure and enjoy equal rights so that they can lead a life of dignity and self-respect,” President Pratibha Patil told a joint session of the Indian parliament.
“India will make appropriate contribution to rehabilitate those affected in the conflict,” Patil said.
After Sri Lanka crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) last month, New Delhi asked Colombo to address the “root cause of the conflict” with suitable power sharing formula.
India’s main focus now is to work with the government of Sri Lanka to provide relief and rehabilitate over 200,000 Tamil civilians displaced by the conflict.
- Probe rights abuses, CPI-M tells Colombo - Aug 07, 2011
- NSA to go to Colombo, voice India's concerns - Jun 25, 2012
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Amid pressure, PM says India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- Tamil Nadu calls for sanctions against Sri Lanka - Jun 08, 2011
- Indian MPs slam Sri Lanka for 'war crimes' (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- PM reminds Rajapaksa India's key role in Geneva - Mar 24, 2012
- India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka: PM (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- After vote, India says it stands by Sri Lanka - Mar 22, 2012
- Ensure safety of Sri Lankans in India: Amnesty - Sep 06, 2012
- Lanka resolution: Uproar in parliament, India undecided (Roundup) - Mar 13, 2012
- Only Colombo can resolve Tamil problems: Malaysian MPs - Nov 29, 2011
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa to meet in Maldives, Tamil issue on agenda - Nov 09, 2011
- India votes against Sri Lanka, then mollifies Colombo (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012