India fears cyber attack by Pakistani hackersAugust 26th, 2010 - 10:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 26 (IANS) India Thursday said it has warned the defence services, financial institutions and private sector organisations of a possible cyber attack by Pakistani hackers.
Minister of State for Telecom and IT Sachin Pilot said: “Intelligence agencies recently issued a warning against large scale cyber attacks by Pakistani hacker groups from March 31, 2010, to April 6, 2010, targetting websites of Indian organisations.”
Under attack are also financial institutions, PSUs and Internet service providers, he told the Rajya Sabha.
During the said period, a total 330 websites were defaced.
However, only four websites belonged to government organisations, he said in a written reply to the house.
The minister said the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In), which detects cyber security threats in the country, has already issued an advisory circulated to all Chief Information Security Officers (CISOs) in the government and prominent private sector organisations.
He said the ministries and departments have been advised to audit their IT systems regularly to ensure robustness of their systems.
The government has formulated a Crisis Management Plan for countering cyber attacks and cyber terrorism, which is under implementation by all ministries and departments of the central and state governments and critical sectors.
- Government websites must follow security guidelines: Pilot - Dec 14, 2010
- India creating architecture to ensure cyber security: NSA - May 16, 2012
- Reputed websites under hacker threat: CERT-In - May 27, 2012
- 8,000 cyber attacks warded off during CWG: NSA - May 16, 2012
- Over 380 phishing incidents from January to October - Nov 25, 2011
- Rising phishing cases open career prospects for ethical hackers - Jul 24, 2011
- India, US sign accord to secure their cyber spaces (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Over 130 government Web sites hacked during January-March 2012 - Apr 25, 2012
- Pakistan hackers wage 'cyber war' on Indian sites - Dec 04, 2010
- 'Multi-pronged strategy need to tackle cyber terror' - Aug 28, 2012
- Pakistan to contact Interpol over 'Indian' cyber attacks - Dec 09, 2010
- Over 270 government websites hacked till July - Sep 01, 2012
- 117 government websites defaced in past six months - Aug 03, 2011
- Terrorists use Internet as most potent tool for recruitment, says Pillai - Mar 07, 2011
- China declines supporting cyber attackers - Mar 30, 2012
Tags: computer emergency response, computer emergency response team, crisis management plan, critical sectors, cyber attack, cyber attacks, cyber terrorism, defence services, emergency response team, financial institutions, government organisations, hacker groups, indian computer emergency response team, indian organisations, information security officers, intelligence agencies, internet service providers, private sector organisations, rajya sabha, state governments