India-EU to double bilateral trade to $100 bn: Kamal NathSeptember 29th, 2008 - 6:08 pm ICT by IANS
Marseilles (France), Sep 29 (IANS) India and the 27-nation European Union (EU) are set to clinch a landmark trade and investment agreement next year, and will double their bilateral commerce to $100 billion, Commerce Minister Kamal Nath said Monday.“We are planning to double India-EU trade to $100 billion in another five years,” Kamal Nath told IANS.
The trade between India and the EU is currently estimated at around $50 billion.
“We are confident of concluding a trade and investment agreement with the EU next year,” said the minister, who is here with a high profile Indian delegation, said.
“It is going to be the biggest ever trade agreement between any two sides. India is a trillion dollar economy and the EU eco is over 12 trillion dollars.” Kamal Nath said.
“It’s going to bring enormous benefits to both sides.”
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, leading the Indian delegation, is currently in France.
India and the EU began their ninth summit Monday in this port city of France. The two-day talks will culminate in the signing of a joint statement and a revised plan of action to improve their relationship.
- India-EU to double bilateral trade to 100 bn euros: Kamal Nath (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Sep 29, 2008
- India, EU to firm up summit agenda Tuesday, discuss AfPak - Jun 21, 2010
- India-EU trade pact soon: Sharma - Apr 18, 2011
- PM to visit Belgium, Germany to expand bilateral ties - Dec 07, 2010
- Belgium calls for early signing of India-EU free trade pact - Aug 03, 2012
- India, EU hold talks on trade, Afghanistan - Jun 22, 2010
- Invest in Indian infrastructure: Kamal Nath to Europe - Oct 13, 2011
- India, EU to clinch FTA soon, to combat terror (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- India-EU trade and investment pact talks almost complete: Sharma - Jul 11, 2011
- Top EU diplomat to visit India to firm up summit agenda - May 31, 2010
- PM arrives in Brussels for India-EU summit - Dec 09, 2010
- 'India-EU trade pact ready by early 2011' - Dec 07, 2010
- India pushes for early conclusion of trade talks with EU - Nov 29, 2010
- Canadian PM urges G20 Summit to restore market confidence - Oct 19, 2011
- UK Business Secretary meets Anand Sharma - Jan 19, 2011