India, EU agree to double trade to 100 bn euros (Second Lead)September 29th, 2008 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
Marseilles, Sep 29 (IANS) India and the 27-nation European Union took their multifaceted ties to new heights by agreeing to double the bilateral trade to 100 billion euros (around $145 billion) in another five years and to clinch a landmark free trade agreement (FTA) by next year.”We have accelerated negotiations for a bilateral free trade agreement,” French President Nicolas Sarkozy told reporters at a joint press conference with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and president of the European Commission Jose Manuel Barroso.
Alluding to growing convergence of views on a wide range of issues like climate change, nuclear non-proliferation, the Iran nuclear dispute and the global financial crisis, Sarkozy underlined that India and the EU would join hands to address these issues.
“World needs India to fight climate changes,” Sarkozy said.
Manmohan Singh said: “We have agreed to double our bilateral trade to 100 billion euros in another five years.”
The prime minister underlined the values and interests that bind Indian and the EU.
- Iran, trade deal high on India-EU summit agenda - Feb 05, 2012
- Belgium backs India for NSG, hopeful of India-EU trade pact (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Belgium hopeful of India-EU trade pact by 2013 summit - Aug 08, 2012
- PM to visit Belgium, Germany to expand bilateral ties - Dec 07, 2010
- India-EU trade deal talks 'critically poised' - Feb 06, 2012
- India-EU close in on trade pact - Dec 10, 2010
- India, EU to clinch FTA soon, to combat terror (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- India, EU ink nuclear pact, to have trade treaty by 2010 - Nov 06, 2009
- India,EU ink n-pact, hope to clinch trade pact by 2010 (Roundup) - Nov 06, 2009
- EU backs n-cooperation with India, to clinch FTA (Roundup) - Sep 29, 2008
- India, EU should open markets, avoid protectionism: PM - Dec 10, 2010
- India, EU decide to step up trade deal talks, sign research pact - Feb 10, 2012
- EU backs n-cooperation with India, to clinch FTA next year - Sep 29, 2008
- EU seeks free trade deal with India - Dec 08, 2010
- India should ensure investment safety: German envoy (Interview) - Aug 12, 2012