India-educated Vietnamese may get ASEAN’s top jobAugust 11th, 2012 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Aug 11 (IANS) Vietnam’s Deputy Foreign Minister Le Luong Minh, an alumnus of India’s Jawaharlal Nehru University, may become the ASEAN’s next secretary-general, according to reports here.
Vietnamese foreign ministry spokesperson Luong Thanh Nghi said that ASEAN foreign ministers have expressed support to the nomination of Minh as ASEAN secretary-general for the 2013-17 tenure.
“The post of ASEAN secretary-general is being rotated alphabetically every five years among its 10-member countries. It is now Vietnam’s turn to take the secretary-general post from Thailand,” Vietnam’s Permanent Representative to ASEAN, Ambassador Vu Dang Dung, told The Jakarta Post.
No other candidates are said to be in the running.
An alumnus of Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi, Minh joined the foreign service in 1975. He served as Vietnam’s deputy foreign minister since December 2008 and if he is selected, Minh will assume his new post Jan 1, 2013.
The 10 members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) are Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
ASEAN is currently headquartered in Indonesia, a country where India’s Ambassador, Gurjit Singh, too is an alumnus of JNU.
- Indian envoy meets Indonesian parliamentary speaker - Jun 12, 2012
- Vietnam, India mark 40th anniversary of diplomatic relations - Jan 05, 2012
- Krishna to address Delhi Dialogue III - Mar 03, 2011
- Etihad Airways to fly daily to Vietnam - Jul 22, 2012
- ASEAN-India officials meet in Cambodia - May 27, 2012
- US wants close ties with ASEAN - Jul 11, 2012
- ASEAN economic ministers agree to deepen integration efforts - Sep 01, 2012
- Indonesia seeks greater role in ASEAN - Feb 10, 2010
- Indian envoy turns to YouTube, reaches out to Indonesians - Jun 12, 2012
- Through YouTube, Indian envoy reaches out to Indonesians (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- East Asian nations need to cooperate on education: India (With Images) - Jul 05, 2012
- India, Asean want to 'connect' in the physical, virtual world - Feb 13, 2012
- ASEAN, Japan agree to boost cooperation on nuke plant safety - Apr 10, 2011
- Indian stamps released in Indonesia (With Images) - Jun 20, 2012
- India's higher education is 'world standard': Indonesia (With Images) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: alumnus, ambassador, asean secretary general, association of southeast asian nations, brunei darussalam, dang, dung, foreign minister, foreign ministers, foreign ministry spokesperson, foreign service, jakarta post, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru university, member countries, New Delhi, nghi, southeast asian nations, thanh, top job