India deserves better than part-time finance minister: AdvaniFebruary 12th, 2009 - 7:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 12 (IANS) The government would be incapable of taking “firm and timely decisions” in the times of the global economic crisis as it has only a “part-time finance minister” in Pranab Mukherjee, the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) prime ministerial hopeful L.K. Advani said Thursday.
Addressing the 81st annual general meeting of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) here, Advani said: “With Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh convalescing, India now has a second part-time finance minister in Pranab Mukherjee.”
He said Mukherjee was competent but his hands were full.
“When the same person also heads the largest number of groups of ministers (GoMs) that any prime minister has created since Independence, one can only conclude that (this) government is incapable of taking firm and timely decisions,” Advani said adding: “Surely, India deserves better.”
Mukherjee was given the additional charge of the finance portfolio after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was hospitalised last month.
The prime minister has been holding the charge of the finance ministry as P. Chidambaram was made home minister in place of Shivraj Patil, who stepped down owning moral responsibility for the Nov 26 Mumbai terrorist attacks.
- After Anna jibe, Pawar quits anti-graft panel (Lead) - Apr 06, 2011
- Mamata objects to pension bill - Dec 22, 2011
- Outages, blasts, Assam... no end to government's woes (Comment) - Aug 04, 2012
- Pawar quits anti-graft panel after Hazare jibe - Apr 06, 2011
- Am aware of Air India's woes, solution soon: PM - Jun 30, 2011
- Mukherjee steps down as finance minister (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Sangma meets Advani, seeks support for presidential poll - Jun 08, 2012
- Chronology of events to Pranab being named UPA's president candidate - Jun 15, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee: Government's No.2 is Nation's No.1 (Profile) - Jul 22, 2012
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Explain Pranab office bugging issue, Advani tells PM - Jun 23, 2011
- Meena to handle day-to-day affairs of finance ministry - Jul 05, 2012
- Ministerial panel on Air India to meet next week: Ravi - Jul 18, 2011
- FDI deadlock deepens, Advani rejects Pranab's offer - Nov 30, 2011
- Pranab Mukherjee: Politician nonpareil becomes constitutional guardian (Profile) - Jun 15, 2012