India conveys concerns over workers unrest to Angolan envoyMay 17th, 2012 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 17 (IANS) In the backdrop of over 1,100 Indian workers’ protest over pay-related issues in Angola, India Thursday called the southern African nation’s envoy to South Block, the seat of the external affairs ministry, to “sensitise” him on its concerns.
Angolan Ambassador to India Manuel Eduardo Dos Santos Silva met India’s external affairs ministry’s Secretary (West) Madhusudan Ganapathi when the government reinforced the issues relating to the Indian workers’ plight, officials said here.
Indian embassy officials in Angola are already in touch with government there and local officials to get the issue resolved amicably.
The Indian government is “acting on all fronts” to resolve a crisis faced by its workers at a cement factory in the African country and was ready to assist some of them who intend to return home, an official had said Wednesday.
The Indian workers are employed in a cement factory in Angola and there has been a labour unrest at the factory due to non-payment of certain emoluments to them.
The $860 million cement factory project employs about 1,260 workers for construction work at Sumbe in Angola and the 1,100 Indians among them were recruited by Dubai-based ETA Star.
The issue has been raised with the external affairs ministry by at least two state chief ministers - Gujarat’s Narendra Modi and Andhra Pradesh’s Kiran Kumar Reddy.
The issue has been festering since February this year, but it took a turn for the worse earlier this month when the Indian workers “became very restive” and clashed with the company officials.
This led to local police charging 59 Indians under several offences and initiating prosecution.
- Will swiftly resolve workers crisis in Angola: Krishna - May 18, 2012
- India says it is acting to resolve its workers' crisis in Angola - May 16, 2012
- Angola workers crisis: Bihar asks PM to intervene - May 19, 2012
- Ordeal of Indian workers in Angola ends - May 23, 2012
- Andhra seeks safe return of workers from Angola - May 15, 2012
- Projects worth $30 billion discussed at India-Africa conclave - Mar 20, 2012
- India awaiting court verdict on children in Norway - Mar 01, 2012
- Mathai heads to Maldives to push for political deal (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Ahead of May summit, India steps up Africa diplomacy - Feb 18, 2011
- India, Angola to speed up petroleum sector cooperation - Oct 31, 2010
- India urges Maldives to resolve issues democratically - Feb 11, 2012
- India, Angola sign deal for hydrocarbon sector - Nov 02, 2010
- Patil to visit South Africa, Seychelles - Apr 27, 2012
- India urges Maldives to resolve issues peacefully (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- India, African regional blocs discuss training institutes, projects - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, cement factory, chief ministers, company officials, embassy officials, emoluments, eta star, external affairs ministry, ganapathi, gujarat, indian embassy, indian government, kiran kumar, labour unrest, madhusudan, manuel eduardo, narendra modi, secretary west, southern african nation, sumbe