India congratulates Suu Kyi on poll winApril 3rd, 2012 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 3 (IANS) With by-poll results in Myanmar indicating a landslide win for pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy (NLD), India Tuesday welcomed the successful conduct of the by-elections and congratulated Suu Kyi for the victory.
“We welcome the successful conduct of by-elections in Myanmar on April 1, 2012,” external affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said in response to reporters’ queries.
The results officially announced so far show that Suu Kyi’s NLD has won all 40 of the seats declared out of the 45 for which by-elections were held.
“We extend our heartiest congratulations to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the National League for Democracy. These elections represent a major milestone in Myanmar’s transition towards multi-party democracy,” Akbaruddin said.
At the invitation of the Myanmarese government, India had sent senior officials from its Election Commission and journalists from the official media as observers for the by-elections. India’s ambassador to Myanmar also observed the elections in the Yangon region.
“We congratulate the Myanmar Election Commission and the government and people of Myanmar on the peaceful and smooth manner in which elections appear to have been held,” India said, giving credit for the peaceful democratic elections in the neighbouring country that was ruled by a military junta for four decades.
India’s relationship with Myanmar has been enhanced in recent months by the visits to India of the president of Myanmar, the foreign minister, and a high-level parliamentary delegation led by the speaker of the lower house of Myanmar parliament.
“As a close and friendly neighbour, India remains committed to extending all possible assistance and support to the process of national reconciliation and the further strengthening of democracy in Myanmar,” India said.
- India congratulates Suu Kyi on election win (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- NLD's victory claim cheers Myanmarese in northeast India - Apr 02, 2012
- Suu Kyi's NLD to re-register - Nov 18, 2011
- Suu Kyi's party scripts landslide win - Apr 03, 2012
- Myanmar holds landmark votes - Apr 01, 2012
- Myanmar recognises Suu Kyi's NLD as political party - Dec 13, 2011
- Ban arrives in Myanmar - Apr 29, 2012
- It's victory of people, says Suu Kyi - Apr 02, 2012
- Myanmar votes to elect Suu Kyi (Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
- Suu Kyi wins Myanmar by-elections - Apr 01, 2012
- Aung San Suu Kyi to run in April by-polls - Jan 10, 2012
- Suu Kyi campaigns for Myanmar by-elections - Feb 11, 2012
- EU praises Myanmar over political reforms - Mar 29, 2012
- Cameron to meet Suu Kyi in Myanmar - Apr 10, 2012
- Polls critical step in Myanmar reform: UN - Apr 12, 2012