India congratulates Suu Kyi on election win (Lead)April 3rd, 2012 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 3 (IANS) India Tuesday congratulated pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi after her National League for Democracy’s (NLD) thumping election victory.
“We welcome the successful conduct of by-elections in Myanmar,” external affairs ministry spokesman Syed Akbaruddin said.
The results announced so far show that the New Delhi-educated Suu Kyi’s NLD has bagged all 40 of the seats declared out of the 45 for which polling took place Sunday.
“We extend our heartiest congratulations to Aung San Suu Kyi and NLD. These elections represent a major milestone in Myanmar’s transition towards multi-party democracy,” Akbaruddin said.
At the invitation of Myanmar, India sent Election Commission officials as observers for the elections. India’s ambassador to Myanmar also observed the elections in Yangon region.
“We congratulate the Myanmar Election Commission, the government and people of Myanmar on the peaceful and smooth manner in which elections appear to have been held,” the official said.
India’s relationship with Myanmar has been boosted in recent months by visits to New Delhi by the president of Myanmar, the foreign minister, and a high-level parliamentary delegation.
“As a close and friendly neighbour, India remains committed to extending all possible assistance and support to the process of national reconciliation and the further strengthening of democracy in Myanmar,” he said.
- India congratulates Suu Kyi on poll win - Apr 03, 2012
- Suu Kyi's party scripts landslide win - Apr 03, 2012
- Indian foreign secretary meets Suu Kyi - Jun 22, 2011
- Ban arrives in Myanmar - Apr 29, 2012
- Suu Kyi's NLD to re-register - Nov 18, 2011
- Myanmar votes to elect Suu Kyi (Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
- Suu Kyi wins Myanmar by-elections - Apr 01, 2012
- Myanmar holds landmark votes - Apr 01, 2012
- Suu Kyi told PM about `difficulties' - May 30, 2012
- It's victory of people, says Suu Kyi - Apr 02, 2012
- Myanmar recognises Suu Kyi's NLD as political party - Dec 13, 2011
- Aung San Suu Kyi to run in April by-polls - Jan 10, 2012
- NLD's victory claim cheers Myanmarese in northeast India - Apr 02, 2012
- EU praises Myanmar over political reforms - Mar 29, 2012
- Suu Kyi wants word changed in oath - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: ambassador, aung san suu kyi, commission officials, democracy leader, election commission, election victory, elections india, external affairs ministry, foreign minister, invitation, milestone, ministry spokesman, national reconciliation, neighbour, New Delhi, nld, observers, parliamentary delegation, party democracy, san suu kyi