India committed to UN goal of gender equality: Nirupam SenMarch 4th, 2008 - 9:43 pm ICT by admin
New York, March 4 (IANS) India has expressed its readiness to work with the international community both within and outside the United Nations for the early realisation of the goal of gender equality and empowerment of women. Addressing the ongoing session of the Commission on the Status of Women, India’s ambassador to the UN, Nirupam Sen, said Monday that the achievement of the goal, which is one of the world body’s Millennium Development Goals, would largely depend on the international community’s collective efforts in timely allocation of necessary financial resources.
“While primary responsibility for allocation of finances rests with the country concerned, it has been recognised that the international community should match up to its commitment by provision of new and additional financial resources, transfer of technology, sharing of experiences, expertise, information and data, technical cooperation and capacity-building,” he said.
Referring to steps India is taking for women’s empowerment, Sen said gender equity and equality has been a key guiding principle of government policies.
“India’s planning process is fully committed to enabling women to be equal partners in development,” he said, adding that a separate Department for Women and Child Development, created in 1985, has been upgraded to a central ministry in 2005.
Reservation 12 years ago of one-third of urban and local self-government seats for women has led to over one million Indian women at the grassroots level being brought into political decision-making, Sen said, which effectively gives them a significant say in utilisation of financial resources allocated to the local-self governing bodies in rural and urban areas.
He added that a similar reservation of seats for women in Parliament remains under consideration.
- India for comprehensive gender entity at UN - Mar 06, 2010
- Norwegian delegation to study decentralised governance - Jan 11, 2012
- Mindset against women has to change: Women MPs (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 07, 2011
- Africa celebrates women power - Jul 14, 2012
- Africa puts women's empowerment on top of agenda - Jul 15, 2012
- 'India making progress on women's political empowerment' - Mar 17, 2012
- Brazilian star Marta's message of women's power in World Cup - Jun 28, 2011
- West Bengal releases three district human development reports - Jul 12, 2010
- India needs to improve implementation of social schemes - Sep 15, 2010
- Norway envoy calls on Deshmukh - Mar 30, 2011
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- OP Jindal University inks MOU with Mozambique NGO - Nov 09, 2011
- Be a global citizen, Ban Ki-moon tells India's youth - Apr 27, 2012
- No discrimination against women: Zardari - Oct 05, 2011
- Holmes to become Hilfiger ambassador - Apr 19, 2012