India committed to Palestinian cause: PresidentSeptember 12th, 2012 - 12:15 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 11 (IANS) India has always considered the conflict in West Asia to be political and to be resolved peacefully while consistently supporting the Palestinian cause, President Pranab Mukherjee said Tuesday.
“India has always considered the conflict in West Asia to be political in nature and believes it cannot be resolved by force… India has been consistent and persevering in its commitment to the Palestinian cause,” Mukherjee said at a state banquet he hosted in honour of visiting the Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, who is also chairman of the Palestinian Liberation Organisation.
“India wishes to see your realisation of a State of Palestine, with East Jerusalem as its capital, existing within secure and recognised borders side by side and in peace with Israel,” he said.
According to President Mukherjee, India’s commitment to Palestine was given voice by none less than Mahatma Gandhi in the days of India’s struggle for Independence.
“As early as in 1936, ‘Palestine Day’, to mark our solidarity, was observed in India,” he said, adding: “We were the first country outside the Arab world to recognize the Palestine Liberation Organization, in 1975, as the sole and legitimate representative of the Palestinian people.”
“In the United Nations, the Non Aligned Movement, and in other international fora, India has always supported the Palestinian people in pursuing their legitimate aspiration for a sovereign, independent and viable state,” said Mukherjee.
Abbas, who is on a state visit, earlier inaugurated the new Palestinian embassy building here.
- India pledges $10 mn for Palestine - Sep 11, 2012
- Palestine leader heads to India next week (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- India urges Israel, Palestine to resume direct talks - Dec 15, 2011
- Palestinian president arrives Monday on state visit - Sep 10, 2012
- India to host Palestinian leader next week - Sep 07, 2012
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- India backs Palestine's UN bid, says shouldn't be conditional - Oct 25, 2011
- Krishna leaves for Israel, Palestine Sunday - Jan 06, 2012
- India committed to Palestinian cause, says S.M. Krishna - Aug 04, 2010
- India concerned about continuing stalemate in West Asia - Jan 28, 2011
- India backs Palestinian bid for UN membership - Oct 01, 2011
- Talks would lead to comprehensive peace for Middle East: Patil - Nov 28, 2010
- Palestinians seek political, financial support from Baghdad Arab summit - Mar 26, 2012
- Abbas not to hold bilateral talks with Iran - Aug 31, 2012
- India assures support for Palestinian cause to Abbas (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
Tags: arab world, aspiration, cause president, east jerusalem, force india, international fora, mahatma gandhi, mahmoud abbas, palestine liberation organization, palestinian cause, palestinian liberation organisation, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, pranab mukherjee, president mahmoud abbas, sep 11, state banquet, state of palestine, viable state, west asia