India committed to aiding Afghan reconstructionMarch 13th, 2008 - 9:53 pm ICT by admin
By Parveen Chopra
New York, March 13 (IANS) India is committed to the reconstruction and development effort in Afghanistan, India’s ambassador to the United Nations Nirupam Sen stated in the United Nations Security Council here. “India’s assistance programme has now exceeded $750 million, and it spans the gamut of requirements, ranging from developing capacity to infrastructure and reconstruction,” he said during a debate on the situation in Afghanistan Wednesday.
Sen also promised the Security Council that as a committed development partner of Afghanistan, India is willing to actively participate in any UN-led effort to improve donor cohesion in support of Afghan-defined priorities.
The Security Council was debating the renewal of the mandate of the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan set up in 2002.
Sen said that while the international community aims to assist Afghanistan re-emerge as a modern democratic country on the path to sustainable economic development after decades of war and civil strife, the process should be “Afghanised” at a pace and in a manner that is acceptable to the Afghan people and their government.
“We should neither press for unrealistic targets, unattainable agendas, nor should we transfer responsibility to Afghan shoulders before they are ready to accept it,” he said.
Sen quoted the Secretary-General’s report on Afghanistan that notes the need to ensure that “international assistance is demand-rather than supply-driven”.
- More needs to be done in Afghanistan: India to UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- India remains committed to help rebuild Afghanistan - Sep 30, 2011
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Roundup) - May 01, 2012
- India for 'concerted action' against 'terrorism syndicate' in Afghanistan - Jun 28, 2012
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- China supports peaceful reconstruction in Afghanistan - Dec 20, 2011
- Afghanistan seeks India's support for Taliban reconciliation - Jul 14, 2011
- India reminds Afghanistan of Taliban reconciliation 'red lines' - Jul 15, 2011
- India's security entwined with Afghanistan's stability: Krishna - May 01, 2012
- Krishna heading to Istanbul for Afghan conference - Oct 31, 2011
- Germany lauds India's Afghan role, pushes UN reforms (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- India, Afghanistan to ensure terrorists are denied safe havens - Aug 25, 2010
- Afghan situation cause for alarm, concern: UN chief - Apr 27, 2012
- UN votes for one-year extension of international force in Afghanistan - Oct 13, 2011
- India reminds world of cross-border terror faced by Kabul - Jul 08, 2012