India ‘cautiously optimistic’ about Durban outcomeDecember 8th, 2011 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
Durban, Dec 8 (IANS) Indian Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan Thursday said she is “cautiously optimistic” about UN climate talks arriving at a conclusion as the ambition levels of developed countries is “quite high”.
With a day left for the two-week long 17th Conference of Parties (CoP) to conclude, Natarajan said the stakes to make Durban a success have gone up but the last point of convergence between the rich and poor countries cannot be seen as of now.
“I am cautiously optimistic as there is an uphill task and the ambition levels of the European Union (EU) and the US are quite high. We have strained every nerve and are willing to walk further but their last point of convergence can not be seen at the end of the tunnel,” she told reporters here.
She said the BASIC (Brazil, South Africa, India and China) countries held several rounds of talks with the EU and US and many other groups of Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and small island states, “but the discussions have not reached any conclusion,” she said.
Natarajan said she has postponed her return from Saturday to Sunday as there is less hope to reach a conclusion Friday and the talks are expected to continue Saturday.
“The EU has been very keen on the establishment of its proposed roadmap but we need to know what is the content of it and we also want some time and as we want to see the report of the fifth review of the Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) due in 2014,” she said.
(Richa Sharma can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Countries struggle to reach deal at Durban (Lead) - Dec 08, 2011
- With no agreement, Durban climate talks spill over a day (Roundup) - Dec 09, 2011
- EU blames India for climate deal delay, minister rebuts - Dec 09, 2011
- EU blames US, China for hampering progress in Durban talks (Lead) - Dec 08, 2011
- India's proposal part of new negotiating draft in Durban - Dec 07, 2011
- BASIC countries meet in China for climate talks - Oct 30, 2011
- India to push for Kyoto Protocol's extension - Sep 15, 2011
- Heat but no light likely at Durban climate talks - Nov 27, 2011
- Climate talks hijacked by US-China differences: EU - Dec 07, 2011
- India, others slam EU aviation cap - Feb 14, 2012
- India gets its way as climate summit ends - Dec 11, 2011
- Eurozone crisis may cloud Durban climate talks - Nov 13, 2011
- Spotlight on Rio as Earth Summit kicks off Wednesday - Jun 19, 2012
- Experts back India's tough line at climate change talks - Oct 16, 2011
- Shun competitive politics at Durban, Natarajan urges rich nations - Nov 17, 2011
Tags: ambition, climate change, climate talks, conclusion, convergence, cop, environment minister, european union, indian environment, island states, jayanthi, jayanthi natarajan, least developed countries, nerve, rich and poor countries, richa sharma, roadmap, saturday to sunday, south africa, uphill task