India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni turns 30July 7th, 2011 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 7 (IANS) India’s cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who led the team to a World Cup win after 28 years, turned 30, Thursday.
Dhoni, who is currently leading the Test team in the West Indies, is having a great year, which started with a maiden Test series draw in South Africa as India retained the No.1 Test spot. India, however, lost the closely fought ODI series 2-3.
Dhoni, who hails from Ranchi in Jharkhand, then led the Indian team to their second World Cup win after 1983. The India captain surprised everybody by promoting himself up the order and hit a valuable unbeaten 91 off 79 balls in the final against the Sri Lanka.
Dhoni then followed up the World Cup win by leading Chennai Super Kings to an Indian Premier League (IPL) triumph for the second time in a row.
Dhoni made his international debut in 2004 and was appointed the India captain in 2007 for the Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa, which India won. Under him, India achieved the No.1 Test rankings and won two world titles.
From 56 Tests he has 2,948 runs at an average of 38.28. He has four Test hundreds and his highest is 148 against Pakistan. Dhoni has 6,049 runs from 186 ODIs and his highest is 183 not out, which is also the fifth highest ODI score. He has seven ODI hundreds.
- Dhoni wins World Cup but India loses No 1 Test status (2011 in Retrospect - Cricket) - Dec 21, 2011
- Career highlights of Rahul Dravid - Mar 09, 2012
- Rahul Dravid, a gentleman-cricketer to the core (Profile) - Mar 09, 2012
- Good team won us World Cup, not just captaincy: Sehwag - Jul 06, 2012
- Dhoni bags Spirit of Cricket award, Trott is Cricketer of the Year - Sep 13, 2011
- Dhoni not interested in Test cricket: Ganguly - Jan 13, 2012
- Groom more youngsters like Kohli, say Indian fans - Mar 25, 2012
- India, Sri Lanka to resume ODI rivalry - Jul 20, 2012
- Fletcher to take over Indian cricket team after Windies tour (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Kohli starts series as highest-ranked batsman - Feb 04, 2012
- Four Indians in ICC's ODI team, Dhoni captain - Sep 12, 2011
- Dhoni warns of fatigue - Apr 06, 2011
- Indian cricket team leaves for West Indies - Jun 01, 2011
- Indian team wants to win World Cup for Tendulkar (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 01, 2011
- World Cup-winning team felicitated, lifetime award for Durrani - May 31, 2011
Tags: 28 years, cricket captain, highest odi score, international debut, ipl, jharkhand, mahendra singh dhoni, maiden test, New Delhi, odi series, odis, premier league, ranchi, test hundreds, test rankings, test series, test team, twenty20 world cup, west indies, world titles