India calls for end to Gaza violence, favours dialogueNovember 25th, 2008 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 25 (IANS) Underlining its solidarity with the Palestinian cause, India Tuesday called for an end to violence in violence in the Gaza Strip that has deprived the civilian population of essential supplies like food and fuel.“There can be no justification for the denial of essential supplies including food and fuel to the civilian population of the Gaza Strip numbering over a million people,” Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed said here.
Ahamed was speaking at a function held to mark the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People. The function was organized at Sapru House by the Indian Council of World Affairs.
Underscoring the need for an end to the expansion of Israeli settlements in occupied Palestinian territories, Ahamed also called for an early and significant easing of restrictions on the free movement of persons and goods within Palestine.
“We believe that the cycle of violence must end,” Ahamed said. The minister stressed that lasting peace in the region requires sustained and substantial negotiations among the parties.
“Like any other people in the world, Palestinian people have undeniable right to live in a safe and dignified manner,” he said.
Ahamed reiterated India’s advocacy of dialogue to achieve a just, comprehensive and lasting peace in the region so that a sovereign, independent, united and viable state of Palestine can live side by side within secure borders with the state of Israel.
Over a week ago, New Delhi had strongly deplored the escalation in violence in the Gaza Strip and called for “an immediate end” to the fighting that has spawned a humanitarian catastrophe in the Hamas-ruled province.
- India urges Israel, Palestine to resume direct talks - Dec 15, 2011
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- India calls for immediate end to violence in Gaza - Nov 18, 2008
- Palestinian president arrives Monday on state visit - Sep 10, 2012
- India expresses strong concern over Gaza blockade - Dec 02, 2008
- Palestine leader heads to India next week (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Hamas rebuffs call for resuming Mideast peace talks - Aug 21, 2010
- Hamas says political motives behind Gaza's mounting energy crisis - Mar 21, 2012
- India backs Palestine's UN bid, says shouldn't be conditional - Oct 25, 2011
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- Abbas not to hold bilateral talks with Iran - Aug 31, 2012
- India to host Palestinian leader next week - Sep 07, 2012
- 200,000 Palestinians helped by UAE group - Sep 14, 2010
- India's statement on Israeli attack weak: Palestine - Jun 22, 2010