India beat Sri Lanka to win Lawyers’ World CupAugust 22nd, 2011 - 1:39 pm ICT by IANS
Bridgetown (Barbados), Aug 22 (IANS/CMC) In a repeat of the ICC World Cup victory earlier this year back home, India demolished Sri Lanka by 22 runs to win the Lawyers’ World Cup here.
Before a modest crowd that included some of legends of Barbados and West Indies cricket including Sir Garfield Sobers, the Indians dismissed the Sri Lankans for 128 in 29.1 overs, successfully defending a target of 151 in the final under the lights at the Three Ws Oval Saturday.
A terminal batting collapse that saw eight wickets fall for 50 runs condemned the Sri Lankans to the same fate as their national side in the ICC World Cup.
Opener Wajahat Rizvi hit just one six in the top score of 41 off 61 balls, as India, sent in to bat, were dismissed for 150 in 29.2 of their alloted 30 overs.
Abhishek Awaasthi, who went to the crease at No. 5, made 33 not out off 28 balls with one four, as the batsmen found difficulty in hitting boundaries.
Manesh Wevita took three for 29 off four overs and Nalinda Rathnayake picked up three for 34 off six overs.
The Sri Lankans seemed on track, reaching 78 for two at the end of the 17th over, but three late run outs undermined their chase.
Opener Priyantha Rajapaksha led the way for the Sri Lankans with 30, and Yohan Jinasena made 22.
Sunil Rajput took two for 15, and Aditya Kumar, two for eight, both from six overs.
West Indies Lions, one of two teams from the Caribbean in the competition, reached the semi-finals, but lost to India.
INDIA LAWYERS 150 off 29.2 overs (Wajahat Rizvi 41, Abishek Awasthi 33; Manesh Wevita 3-29, Nalinda Ratnayake 3-34, Pradeep Heenkenti 2-35)
SRI LANKA LAWYERS 128 off 29.1 overs (Priyantha Rajapaksha 30, Yohan Jinasena 22; Sunil 2-15, Aditya Kumar 2-8)
- Daley shines again as West Indies win T20 opener - May 02, 2012
- Chanderpaul's son takes centre stage - Jul 04, 2012
- Sri Lankan women win second ODI - Apr 28, 2012
- Eighth-wicket stand gives Windies women series win - May 07, 2012
- Outstanding Taylor fires Windies to second straight win - May 03, 2012
- Daley, Mohammed star in West Indies eves' win - Apr 26, 2012
- Windies beat Australia by 14 runs in second T20 - Mar 31, 2012
- West Indies struggling at 128 for five (Lunch report) - Jul 08, 2011
- Confident West Indies leave for Sri Lanka - Sep 10, 2012
- Inclement weather forces cancellation of Caribbean T20 Big Swing - Dec 25, 2011
- Former Barbados all-rounder dies at 50 - Aug 29, 2011
- West Indies eves see no surprises from Sri Lanka - Apr 24, 2012
- Pollard shrugs off favourites tag - Sep 06, 2012
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Windies, Australia to renew ODI rivalry - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: abishek, aditya, chase, cmc, collapse, crease, eight wickets, garfield, home india, icc world cup, rajput, semi finals, sir garfield, sri lankans, sunil, target, west indies cricket, world cup opener, world cup victory, yohan