India beat Queensland-New South Wales in hockeyFebruary 15th, 2009 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
Brisbane, Feb 15 (IANS) Skipper Sandeep Singh sank in three penalty corners as India routed the Queensland-New South Wales State combine 7-0 at the State Hockey Centre here Sunday.
Sandeep scored in the 3rd, 19th and 60th minutes. The other scorers were Shivendra Singh (23rd min), Tushar Khandker (40th min), Arjun Halappa (42nd min) and Ignace Tirkey (48th min).
This is India’s second win against the state side after beating them 8-1 Saturday.
India broke into an early lead when Aussie defender Nick Russ was struck on his foot inside the circle. The resultant penalty corner was converted by Sandeep as he flicked low to the left of Australian Olympic goalkeeper Stephen Lambert.
The Indian midfield again tormented their opponents repeatedly breaking through their defence with regular monotony.
The Indian captain made it 2-0 with a powerful drag flick, this time to Lambert’s right.
Shortly after, Vikram Pillay stole the ball in the midfield essaying an attack with young striker Sarwanjit Singh to set up Shivendra who drove home India’s third goal.
Thereafter India suffered a nasty incident with Rajpal Singh, who scored a hat trick Saturday, being struck on his shin by defender Jason Wilson. The winger could take no further part in the match as he had to be sent to hospital for stitches.
India shuffled their players after the break and went further ahead with Tushar Khandker making it 4-0.
Two minutes later Arjun Halappa produced a breathtaker when he exhibited classic ball control before deftly pushing past Lambert.
The Indian domination continued unabated as Ignace Tirkey found the mark with his trademark backhander atop the circle which was followed by Sandeep rounding off the tally from the sixth penalty corner.
India will next play the Australian Development squad here Tuesday.
- Ace forward Rajpal axed from hockey squad for Olympic qualifiers - Jan 30, 2012
- Azlan Shah: India beat Malaysia to keep alive hopes - May 28, 2012
- Rajpal retained among 32 hockey probables for Olympic qualifiers - Jan 23, 2012
- Olympic hockey qualifiers: Indian men, women in finals (Roundup) - Feb 25, 2012
- Rajpal, Halappa left out from Olympics hockey probables - Feb 27, 2012
- 48 probables selected for national hockey camp - Jul 16, 2011
- India, Spain share six goals in first Test - Jul 06, 2012
- Hockey team to have no designated captain for Canada tour - Sep 30, 2009
- Indian hockey team rout Belgium 6-0 - Jul 17, 2010
- Sandeep, Sardar recalled in national team for Australia tour - Sep 29, 2011
- 90 Indian players sign up for Hockey India league - Sep 12, 2012
- Chettri to lead Indian hockey team in London - Apr 10, 2012
- 32 hockey players named for central contracts - Jun 08, 2012
- India's disastrous run continued in Monchengladbach (Eleventh and last of the series on Hockey World Cup) - Feb 24, 2010
- Indian hockey squad for Commonwealth Games announced - Aug 30, 2010