India, Bangladesh to ease travel on Maitree ExpressMay 9th, 2012 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 9 (IANS) The Indian and Bangladeshi railways will take a slew of steps to ease train travel across the two countries by the popular Maitree Express, an official statement said Wednesday.
The Maitree Express, the direct passenger train between Dhaka, capital of Bangladesh, and Kolkata, capital of West Bengal, was introduced in April 2008.
An Empowered Joint Group formed by the two governments to suggest measures to ease travel by the Maitree Express held its first meeting here and decided that immigration forms of both the countries would be distributed inside the train to save time taken at the border stations Gede (India) and Darsana (Bangladesh).
Officials said possibilities of introducing airlines type baggage booking would be explored by a working group of field officers.
It was also agreed that the passenger amenities at the two border stations would be improved besides efforts to reduce the train running time in both the countries, said officials.
The Indian side of the delegation was led by D.P. Pande, Additional Member (Traffic), Railway Board while the Bangladesh delegation was led by Md. Shahjahan, Additional Director General (Operations), Bangladesh Railways.
Both sides agreed that bi-weekly Maitree Express is a symbol of people to people connectivity and the abiding friendship between the two countries.
- Kolkata-Dhaka Maitree Express cancelled Sept 11-12 - Sep 07, 2010
- India, Bangladesh align rail link in Tripura - Sep 08, 2010
- India to expand railway connectivity with Bangladesh - Aug 05, 2010
- India to improve rail-road links to Bangladesh: Officials - Dec 06, 2010
- Mamata Banerjee's largesse for Maharashtra - Feb 25, 2011
- India, Bangladesh to set up 'border haats' for trade - Jun 21, 2010
- Chiranjeevi, Naidu blame railway's negligence for disaster - Jul 30, 2012
- India, Bangladesh to have rail links - Apr 24, 2011
- 35 killed as Tamil Nadu Express catches fire (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- New rail link to connect Agartala with Bangladesh town - Mar 10, 2011
- Tamil Nadu gets new trains, integrated suburban network - Feb 25, 2011
- Assam burns, 32 dead, thousands homeless (Night Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- 35 burnt alive in Tamil Nadu Express blaze (Fifth Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Bangladesh keen on joint ventures with India: Hasina - Jan 12, 2012
- Goods train derailed in Bihar, disrupts traffic (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: border stations, capital of bangladesh, capital of west bengal, darsana, delegation, first meeting, immigration forms, joint group, kolkata, maitree, New Delhi, passenger amenities, passenger train, railway board, railways, running time, shahjahan, slew, train travel, working group