India backs UN resolutions on Iran nuclear issueMarch 22nd, 2012 - 10:45 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, March 22 (IANS) India has come out in support of full implementation of UN Security Council resolutions on the Iranian nuclear issue but said all efforts should be made to ensure that legitimate trade and economic activities do not suffer.
“India has consistently supported the right of all nations to peaceful uses of nuclear energy in accordance with relevant international treaties to which they are a party,” India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Hardeep Singh Puri told the Security Council Wednesday.
India, he said, also supported a proposal to hold an open briefing along with the Coordinator of the Panel of Experts in April 2012 on implementation procedures to get views of the wider UN membership.
Asking Iran to “fully cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to restore the confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of its nuclear programme,” Puri said India welcomed the recent exchanges between Iran and the IAEA.
“We hope that the outstanding technical issues concerning the Iranian nuclear programme will be resolved peacefully through Iran’s cooperation with the IAEA,” he said.
Welcoming the decision to resume talks between the P5 + 1 and Iran, Puri said: “These talks should serve as an important confidence building measure and help avoid escalation of the situation.”
- India for peaceful resolution of Iranian nuclear issue - Mar 23, 2011
- India, US on same page on Iran's n-programme (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- BRICS says dialogue only answer for Syria, Iran - Mar 29, 2012
- IAEA wants Iran to comply without delay on n-issue - Sep 14, 2012
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
- Iran should cooperate with IAEA : UN chief - Feb 18, 2012
- Iran ready for nuclear talks with G5+1, but no compromise on nuke programme - Apr 13, 2011
- Iranian lawmakers call for review of cooperation with IAEA - Nov 14, 2011
- Amid Western pressure, India, Iran seek closer economic ties (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Listen to Africa on African affairs: India to UN - Jan 13, 2012
- India offers to play role in achieving Middle East peace - Dec 01, 2011
- UN chief stresses diplomacy to solve Iran N-standoff - Nov 11, 2011
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Unilateral sanctions shouldn't impact legitimate trade with Iran: India (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Iran has right to develop n-energy, says India - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: atomic energy agency, confidence building, economic activities, escalation, hardeep singh, implementation procedures, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, legitimate trade, nuclear issue, peaceful nature, peaceful uses of nuclear energy, puri, relevant international treaties, security council resolutions, un security council, un security council resolutions, united nations march, uses of nuclear energy