India-Asean trade to swell $10bn this year: Kamal NathAugust 29th, 2008 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 29 (IANS) A day after India clinched the Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), Commerce Minister Kamal Nath said bilateral trade volumes are expected to increase by almost $10 billion this year.“Indian-Asean trade was worth $38.37 billion in 2007-08 and is projected to reach $48 billion this year,” he said.
Elaborating on the terms of the FTA, the minister said all parties have agreed to reduce tariff on more than 90 percent of tariff lines, which corresponds to almost 96 percent of the total trade between India and Asean members.
Implementation of concessions will start in 2009, while the bulk of the trade will be liberalised by 2012.
India and the Asean successfully concluded six years of negotiations in Singapore Thursday.
The formal pact for the same will be signed this December at the Indo-Asean summit in Bangkok.
China had some time back signed a similar pact with the South East Asian economic bloc that swelled the bilateral trade between the two to $171 billion last year.
The deal comes at a time when the Doha round of world trade talks have been stalled.
“The FTA is a major step towards the stalled Doha Round negotiations, which have been in discussions for seven years,” Kamal Nath said Thursday.
- India to speed up trade talks with EU, Japan and Malaysia - Aug 25, 2010
- India to sign CEPA with Japan on Feb.16, CECA with Malaysia - Feb 10, 2011
- India, Malaysia implement trade pact - Jun 30, 2011
- Belgium hopeful of India-EU trade pact by 2013 summit - Aug 08, 2012
- India, Asean must move beyond free trade in goods: Delhi Dialogue - Feb 14, 2012
- FTA would complement Indian reforms: New Zealand minister - Jul 27, 2012
- India to negotiate free trade agreements with Indonesia, Thailand soon - Oct 28, 2010
- Belgium backs India for NSG, hopeful of India-EU trade pact (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- India-ASEAN trade to reach $80 bn: Official - Mar 23, 2012
- The sky is the limit for ASEAN-India cooperation (Comment) - Oct 27, 2010
- Britain wants India-EU trade deal by 2010 to protect jobs, increase trade (Lead) - Feb 23, 2010
- India, Israel to hold FTA talks Aug 14-16 - Aug 13, 2012
- India-ASEAN FTA in services likely by 2010-end - May 06, 2010
- Free trade with Asean to open up bigger prospects - May 15, 2011
- India pitches for ASEAN pact in services, investments - Jul 11, 2012