India again seeks access to jailed diamond traders in ChinaApril 3rd, 2010 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 3 (IANS) India Saturday said it has sought another round of consular access to 21 Indians lodged in Chinese prisons for smuggling diamonds and requested China to allow them to meet their immediate families.
“We have asked for another round of consular access. There have been already three rounds of consular access so far,” Gautam Bambawale, joint secretary in charge of China and East Asia in the external affairs, told reporters here.
“There have been some complaints about the quality of food. They are mostly vegetarians. On the whole, they are healthy and doing well,” said Bambawale.
There will be enough time to take up visa and consular issues during the visit, he said when asked whether the issue will figure during discussions between External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna and Chinese leaders in Beijing next week.
There is likely to be a meeting between the prisoners, in prisons in the southern city of Shenzhen, and their immediate families soon, he said.
Twenty-one Indians, most of them from the diamond hub of Surat in Gujarat, were among 33 foreigners arrested in Shenzhen early January on charges of smuggling diamonds and money laundering.
“We hope they will get the best of legal assistance,” he said.
Many Indian diamond companies have set up processing units in China, which has one of the world’s fastest-growing diamond markets.
- China to deport 13 Indian diamond traders, Modi claims credit - Dec 07, 2011
- Detained Indians in China are fine, getting veg food (Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- Govt. hopeful of getting consular access to Indian nationals detained in China - Jan 12, 2010
- Officials get consular access to detained Indians in China - Jan 13, 2010
- Indian diamond traders' arrest creates fresh problems with Beijing (Lead) - Jan 12, 2010
- India will assist diamond merchants detained by China, says Krishna - Jan 13, 2010
- Surat diamond traders flay arrest of Indians in China - Jan 13, 2010
- China confirms detaining Indians - Jan 14, 2010
- 12 diamond merchants home after two years in Chinese custody - Jan 06, 2012
- India wants details on its diamond traders' arrest in China - Jan 12, 2010
- Kin pray for release of Indian diamond traders in China - Jan 17, 2010
- India, China to hold maritime dialogue, border meeting next week (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Chinese envoy meets Krishna on Indian traders plight - Jan 04, 2012
- Map row: Chinese envoy asks journalist to shut up - Nov 03, 2011
- India, China to start maritime dialogue, border meet next week (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,