India-Africa trade to grow nine times by 2012: AssochamJanuary 7th, 2009 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 7(IANS) Even as India’s exports decline, India-African bilateral trade is projected to grow by over nine times from $26 billion now to $150 billion by 2012, according to an estimate by a leading business chamber. The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham), in a report on Africa, projects that in the next four years the continent will have greater business significance and drive two-way trade to over $150 billion.
According to Assocham, bilateral trade grew over five times from $5.2 billion to $26 billion from 2002-03 to 2007-08.
“The governments in African continent have also been encouraging industries to intensify their ties with India because it has already announced Duty Free Tariff Preference Scheme for all LCDs (Least Developed Countries) including Africa so that imports from them become easier and increase by manifold,” said Assocham secretary general D.S. Rawat.
Rawat said the areas which will receive maximum focus in the next four to five years for increased trade include minerals, fuels, gems and jewellery, inorganic chemicals, ores and wood, besides project exports, consultancy, IT, education and healthcare.
- India, Japan implement economic pact; aim to double trade (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- CII to take business delegation to Ghana, Burkina Faso - Jun 01, 2010
- India, southern African nations to have trade pact - Sep 22, 2011
- India pitches for greater development ties with Africa - Mar 19, 2012
- Projects worth $30 billion discussed at India-Africa conclave - Mar 20, 2012
- South Africa pitches for greater Indian investment - Apr 08, 2012
- India needs to invest in technology to raise exports - Sep 05, 2010
- 'India-Iran trade can touch $30 bn by 2015' - Feb 15, 2012
- Pakistan businesses want trade barriers to India cut - Dec 07, 2011
- India, Pakistan must remove barriers to boost trade: Ficci - Feb 10, 2012
- Gems, jewellery sector turnover to double by 2015: Assocham - Jul 22, 2011
- Africa studies a hot new subject for Indian students - Sep 26, 2011
- Industry body seeks 100 percent FDI in defence - Mar 25, 2012
- India-Africa conclave to discuss projects worth $30 billion - Mar 11, 2012
- India seeks to jointly develop new markets with Africa (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012