India advocates alliance among developing nations in agri-sectorOctober 13th, 2008 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) Commerce minister Kamal Nath Monday said developing countries should forge ties in agri-business so they could jointly work on removing flaws resulting from heavy agriculture subsidies given by developed nations.”Flaws arising out of subsidy have to be removed,” Kamal Nath said referring to the failure of the Doha round of World Trade Organisation talks held in Geneva in July.
He was speaking at the inaugural session of the Third India-Brazil-South Africa (IBSA) Business Summit here.
In Geneva, Kamal Nath had said he could not negotiate the livelihood of millions of poor Indian farmers to prop the commercial interests of the US, which offers heavy subsidies to its farmers.
The minister had maintained that the US subsidised its agri-sector at the cost of developing countries.
“Bilateral trade and investment relations form the core of IBSA activities. Its joint leadership comes to the fore when all three partners zealously safeguard the interests of developing countries at the WTO talks,” he told IBSA business delegates.
The minister said there were huge opportunities in the fields of agriculture, mining, pharmaceutical, healthcare, bio-fuel and oil and gas, among other sectors. “We need to explore and do business,” he added.
- Kamal Nath for more intra-trade among India-Brazil-South Africa - Oct 13, 2008
- Karnataka to use farm lands as equity in agri ventures (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- Karnataka holding agri-biz summit to woo investments - Nov 25, 2011
- Karnataka agri-business summit attracts Rs.78,000-crore investments - Dec 01, 2011
- India flexible for Doha trade deal - Oct 19, 2010
- Andhra plans three agri-business investment regions - Mar 08, 2012
- Karnataka gets Rs.1.10-lakh crore investments in agri-business - Dec 02, 2011
- SFAC to provide capital for agri-business ventures in Kerala - Jan 27, 2012
- Boeing got illegal US subsidies: WTO - Mar 13, 2012
- Andhra plans three agri business investment regions (Lead) - Mar 08, 2012
- Dubai to host agri-business meet - Mar 23, 2012
- Brazil announces new trade measures - Oct 11, 2011
- IBSA calls for early conclusion of WTO Doha round - Jan 28, 2012
- India-Brazil joint commission meet Dec 11-13 - Dec 08, 2011
- India signs agriculture pact with Argentina - Sep 12, 2010