India a successful democracy because of Hindu religion: AdvaniOctober 10th, 2008 - 5:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 10 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani Friday said only Hindu religion allows secularism and pluralism, making India a successful democracy.”For the success of democracy, there should be tolerance for the other point of view. Intolerance is most visible in religious matters… Hindu polity never accepts theocracy, making us a successful democratic nation,” Advani told a gathering during a book launch function organised by India First Foundation.
He gave examples of theocratic nations to prove that it is only India that could support democracy.
“Generals and others take over nations after independence in theocratic nations. Look at Bangladesh, we gave them a secular nation but they could not sustain that for long,” Advani pointed out.
Commenting on one of the three books released at the function, “Fateful Fourth Generation” - a compilation of dynasties of the world that fell during their fourth generation, Advani laughed and said: “I will not comment on this for it might create a controversy, but going by the examples it seems that all the troubles begin at the fourth generation.”
He said the present United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government is “intentionally inactive” against terrorism.
“We keep on deceiving ourselves for the sake of vote bank politics. Why can’t we see the obvious and take action against it. Is it our policy or habit now to keep deceiving ourselves?” he asked.
Advani has been on the offensive against the government as the general elections approach next year and many states go to the polls in the next one or two months.
- Lack of liberal space making us intolerant: Gautam Adhikari - Apr 10, 2011
- Hindu ethos key to Indian democracy, secularism: Advani - Apr 11, 2010
- Advani rakes up Ram temple issue - Sep 09, 2012
- BJP asks for Rahul's views on black money - Feb 07, 2012
- Despite exoneration, Narendra Modi cannot play national role (Comment) - Apr 14, 2012
- Democracy is best guarantor of internal security: PM - Dec 31, 2011
- In words: A medley of spirituality, tolerance, trees (IANS Books This Week) - Mar 24, 2011
- 1950 - 2010: The Indian republic has much to be proud of (Comment) - Jan 24, 2010
- Pankaj Advani joins kids' movement - Sep 28, 2011
- BJP's PM wannabes more enthusiastic than party (Comment) - Sep 17, 2011
- Udaipur's Mewar gets UN award for saving India's living heritage - Jun 07, 2012
- Text of PM's message - Dec 31, 2011
- What Pranab said in his first presidential speech (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Communalism, terrorism big challenges to nation: PM - Jul 29, 2011
- What Pranab said in his first presidential speech - Jul 25, 2012