Independent candidate in Kashmir dies of heart attackNovember 22nd, 2008 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Nov 22 (IANS) Bilal Lodhi, an independent candidate, contesting the ongoing assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir from Badgam district in central Kashmir died of a heart attack here Saturday.Lodhi, 49, a militant turned politician, initially joined the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 1990s and was elected to the upper house of the state’s bicameral legislature as a PDP member.
He left the PDP early this year to join the regional National Conference (NC), but later decided to contest as an independent candidate from the Beerwah constituency in Badgam district after the NC denied him a nomination.
Officials here said he complained of severe chest pain and was rushed to a local hospital where attending doctors said he had died before reaching the hospital.
Beerwah constituency is scheduled to go to the polls in the fourth phase of the seven phase elections here Dec 7.
- Jammu and Kashmir fourth phase poll Sunday amid boycott call (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Dec 05, 2008
- Jammu and Kashmir fourth phase poll Sunday amid boycott call (Curtain raiser) - Dec 05, 2008
- Nomination process begins for Kashmir panchayat polls - Mar 23, 2011
- One killed in Kashmir road accident - Sep 07, 2012
- Massive turnout in Jammu and Kashmir local polls (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
- Congress warns rebels in West Bengal - Apr 18, 2011
- Woman panchayat candidate killed in Kashmir - Apr 16, 2011
- A Panchayati Kashmir: The importance of holding the Panchayat polls - Feb 10, 2011
- Voting picks up in Srinagar (Second Lead) - May 07, 2009
- National Conference meet inconclusive as both Abdullahs absent - Sep 25, 2011
- Woman panchayat candidate killed in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- 65-70 percent polling recorded in Assam - Apr 04, 2011
- All eyes on Sajjad Lone (Poll Curtainraiser - Jammu and Kashmir) - May 12, 2009
- J-K panchayat poll: Woman candidate shot dead - Apr 16, 2011
- Second phase of panchayat polls held along Indo-Pak border in R.S. Pura - Apr 17, 2011