Indebted businessman poisons wife and son, attempts suicideNovember 19th, 2008 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 19 (IANS) Unable to repay his debt, a businessman in Kolkata poisoned his wife and 13-year-old son before attempting suicide, the police said Wednesday. While his wife and the son died Tuesday, the trader was fighting for his life at a state-run hospital, the police said.
District Superintendent of Police Ajay Ranade told reporters that letters found in the house of the couple in Sree Colony of Bijoygarh, in the neighbouring South 24-Parganas district, indicated he had taken a lot of loans he was unable to repay.
“They owed money to a lot of people,” Ranade said.
“From circumstantial evidence, it seems the couple tried to commit suicide after poisoning their 13-year-old son,” Ranade added.
People in the locality entered the house after hearing groans and found the trader, Swapan Banerjee, 48, writhing in pain, while his wife Urmi and son Rajrup seemed stiff.
At hospital, Urmi and Rajrup were pronounced dead.
“The family had seemed upset over the last few days, and confessed that they were overburdened with loan,” a neighbour said.
According to police sources, Swapan had taken a loan of about Rs.3 million, mainly from three people.
“Swapan had taken a loan worth at least Rs.3 million from banker Asit Chakraborty, promoter Dipak Ganguly, and the colony treasurer, Surajit Majumder. It seems these people were pressurising him for repayment,” said the sources.
A suicide note was found and investigations are on, the police said.
- Loan-burdened businessman dies after killing wife, son - Nov 20, 2008
- Man kills three children, then commits suicide - May 19, 2010
- Lawyer kills daughter, commits suicide - Jun 02, 2010
- Debt-ridden family of three commits suicide - Dec 20, 2009
- Man arrested for murdering woman, granddaughter - Apr 10, 2011
- Four of a family commit suicide in Secunderabad - Jan 28, 2012
- Two robbers kill woman and daughter, one held - Oct 13, 2011
- Debt-entrapped Kolkata couple kill daughter, themselves - Sep 08, 2008
- Delhi property dealer attempts suicide - May 02, 2012
- Debt-ridden man kills wife, four daughters; attempts suicide - Jan 22, 2010
- Parents kill three kids, themselves over property dispute - Sep 14, 2012
- Another officer's suicide stuns colleagues in UP - Aug 03, 2012
- Man strangulates son to implicate friends - Feb 15, 2011
- Mother poisons daughters, self - Nov 08, 2011
- Man commits suicide after killing wife, son - Jul 23, 2010