Income tax department to get money seized from Abhishek VermaJuly 17th, 2008 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 17 (IANS) A city court Thursday directed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to give the money seized from Abhishek Verma - accused of leaking classified documents from the Directorate of Naval Operations - to the income tax department. Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sanjeev Jain dismissed Verma’s plea of releasing Rs.399,000 which was seized by the CBI at the time of his arrest in 2006. Verma is the key accused in what has come to be known as the naval war room leak case.
The income tax department opposed Verma’s plea of releasing the money and stated that apart from what he wanted back, he still owned a huge amount.
The court directed the CBI to release the money to the IT department within 30 days from Thursday.
Verma was jailed in July 2006. He was bailed out by the Delhi High Court in May this year.
According to the first information report (FIR) filed under the Official Secrets Act, Verma along with his associates Kulbhushan Parashar and Ravi Shankaran, in connivance with naval staff, allegedly hatched a conspiracy to steal classified defence documents from the naval headquarters.
- Naval war room leak case: 2 former officers granted bail - May 11, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife in seven days CBI custody - Jun 09, 2012
- Abhishek Verma's wife denied bail - Aug 30, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife in CBI custody till June 21 (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Court gives CBI papers linked to Abhishek Verma's case - Jul 17, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife sent to jail till July 4 (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- CBI to question Abhishek Verma, wife till Aug 21 - Aug 16, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife seek bail - Aug 07, 2012
- Verma, wife move release application in money laundering case - Sep 11, 2012
- Abhishek Verma faces arrest for money laundering - Aug 21, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife in judicial custody for money laundering - Aug 27, 2012
- Verma, wife sent to judicial custody in OSA case - Sep 14, 2012
- Verma, wife sent to 10 days CBI custody - Sep 04, 2012
- Bail plea of Abhishek Verma's wife dismissed (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- ED to quiz Abhishek, wife - Aug 23, 2012