Income tax commissioner in tax netMarch 28th, 2008 - 7:02 pm ICT by admin
Lucknow, March 28 (IANS) Income tax officials may be widely perceived as oppressors who hound commoners. For a change, a commissioner level officer of the department is now at the receiving end here for a major default in payment of tax. R.N. Chaudhary, the income tax commissioner of Gorakhpur circle, figured among the top tax defaulters in his region.
According to a top IT official here, a whopping amount of nearly Rs.400,000 was outstanding against Chaudhary towards his income tax dues. It was only after a notice was issued to him that he paid up a sum of Rs.78,000.
A circle level income tax commissioner draws a gross salary of about Rs.47,000 a month, excluding perks, sources at the income tax department said.
Significantly, dues against Chaudhary have been pending since 2004-2005, when he was posted in Jaipur. He reportedly got away with continued default until an additional commissioner reported the matter to the Central Board of Direct Taxes, which issued directive to stop his monthly salary in order to recover the dues.
Chaudhary is stated to have gone to the extent of taking refund of a part payment he made towards his pending dues when the department’s noose was tightened on him earlier.
“Any ordinary assessee in his place would have been subjected to serious punitive action and would have had to even shell out heavy interest over and above the dues,” said a leader of the Income Tax Bar Association.
A senior official told IANS: “We are also trying to lay our hands on a number of IT officials who were not only defaulting on their own tax but also were known to be living far beyond their known sources of income.” He said, “Action would soon follow against them.”
- Government may engage outside agencies to trace tax evaders - Jun 08, 2011
- Tax department targets Rs.26,000 crore revenue from Bengal - Jun 08, 2011
- Kingfisher negotiates with striking employees (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- 'Kingfisher Airlines asked to pay Rs.60 crore service tax' - Apr 04, 2012
- Government targeting anti-corruption activists: BJP - Sep 02, 2011
- Kingfisher Airlines owes Rs.132.78 crore in TDS dues - Dec 20, 2011
- No tax returns on salaries up to Rs.5 lakh - Jun 23, 2011
- Koda told to pay Rs.1,200 crore in income tax dues - Jan 02, 2012
- Mumbai income tax commissioner, two others held for graft - Jul 09, 2011
- 926 bank branches to accept advance income tax - Aug 22, 2012
- Air India employees to get June, July salary by Monday - Aug 05, 2011
- Tripura registers record rise in tax collection - Jun 02, 2012
- Relief for Gujarat construction company in tax case - Mar 07, 2011
- Kingfisher Airlines scrip rises as strike called off - Apr 03, 2012
- Rs.2,196 cr Harshad Mehta dues paid to SBI, IT department (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011