In virtual world, men support castration for rapistsMay 2nd, 2011 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) After a judge suggested castration as an alternative punishment for rapists, a group of men in the virtual world have come out in full support through a forum called “Support castration” under the group “True World” on social networking site Facebook.
“Chemical castration is the best way to stop rapes. The judge is absolutely right in supporting the punishment,” posted Ishan Kathuria, 23, a member of the group.
The group has over 300 members, of whom many supported the form of punishment.
In an observation, a trial court Saturday advocated the use of “chemical castration” as an alternative to a jail term for rapists.
Additional sessions judge at Delhi’s Rohini Court, Kamini Lau said: “The Indian legislatures are yet to… address the issue (of rape) with all seriousness by exploring the possibility of permitting imposition of alternative sentences of surgical castration or chemical castration, particularly in cases involving rape of minors, serial offenders and child molesters or as a condition for probation, or as an alternative sentence in case of plea bargaining.”
Lau suggested castration as an alternative punishment for rapists while hearing the case against a man who had raped his 15-year-old step-daughter for over four years.
“Chemical castration is the way to go. Surgical castration seems too strict a measure to take but I guess in some situations it would seem like the only way,” wrote 22-year-old Rahul Gupta, another member of the group.
The group has a moderator who raised the question after the judge’s comments sparked a debate if the punishment would help eradicate the crime from society.
“This punishment can be effective. But there should be done enough to implement it. We will soon introduce a campaign where we can gather support from men to stand for the punishment,” said Shubham Tripathi, the moderator of the group.
The court directed that a copy of the order be sent to the secretary of ministry of law and justice and the National Commission for Women.
The Indian Penal Code provides only a jail term for sexual offenders. Countries such as the US, Britain and Germany have started using chemical castration as an alternative.
Chemical castration is administration of medication designed to reduce libido and sexual activity, usually in the hope of preventing rapists, child molesters and other sex offenders from repeating their crimes. In surgical castration, the testes are removed.
- Castration as punishment for rape? The debate intensifies - May 06, 2011
- Castration for rapist? Many women don't agree - May 03, 2011
- Castration most befitting punishment for rapists: Court - Feb 17, 2012
- Russian lower house passes paedophile castration bill - Feb 08, 2012
- Russian parliament approves chemical castration for paedophiles - Feb 23, 2012
- 400 offenders in Britain raped again after release - Jul 16, 2012
- Five rapists of minor get life term - Jan 28, 2012
- Gang jailed for paedophile tours to Moldova - May 30, 2012
- Global paedophile ring busted in Russia - Dec 14, 2011
- Rapists of 'willing' girl survive tough punishment - Feb 21, 2012
- 100 paedophiles chemically castrated in Britain - Mar 13, 2012
- HIV-positive rapist faces trial for attempt to murder - Jun 11, 2012
- Jailed rapist released early assaults again within weeks - Jun 08, 2011
- Long trials to blame for rapists walking free - Nov 30, 2010
- All 269 guilty in Vachathi mass rape, assault case - Sep 29, 2011
Tags: chemical castration, child molesters, imposition, ishan, jail term, kamini, legislatures, plea bargaining, rahul gupta, rapes, rapists, rohini, serial offenders, seriousness, social networking site, step daughter, surgical castration, true world, virtual world, world men