In Uttar Pradesh, old Dalit woman beaten for using hand pumpNovember 12th, 2008 - 3:42 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 12 (IANS) An old Dalit woman was beaten up by upper caste people for using a hand pump installed in their locality in an Uttar Pradesh village to draw water, an official said Wednesday.”The complainant has alleged that she was beaten with sticks for using the hand pump installed in Mudaiya locality in Lacchu village in Auraiya district,” said sub-divisional magistrate N.K. Mishra.
Although the incident took place Monday, the woman approached the district administration Tuesday, alleging she was sent away by the police when she went to register the complaint, officials said.
Auraiya district is about 250 km from here.
District police chief Iqram-ul-Haq told IANS: “On the direction of the subdivisional magistrate, an inquiry into the incident has been initiated and necessary action would be taken against those involved in the incident.”
- Dalits in Uttar Pradesh allege discrimination over water - Aug 31, 2009
- Woman molested for spurning Trinamool, tries suicide - Apr 18, 2012
- Sand mafia kingpin arrested - Mar 11, 2012
- Sand mafia attacks cops, officials in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 10, 2012
- Korsaguda, Sarkeguda residents refuse government aid - Jul 08, 2012
- Another Rajasthan woman wants annulment of child marriage - Jun 27, 2012
- Newborn's death: Rights panel seeks report in 15 days - Nov 03, 2011
- Couple abused in Uttar Pradesh for inter-caste marriage - Oct 07, 2009
- Woman killed as lightning strikes UP village - Aug 31, 2012
- Woman sets herself ablaze over dowry harassment - Jun 25, 2011
- Witch hunting: Villagers set woman ablaze - Feb 10, 2012
- Delhi woman commits suicide - May 13, 2012
- Woman Maoist leader arrested in Kolkata - Aug 29, 2010
- Maharashtra orders probe into attack on Dalit woman - Jan 12, 2012
- Bihar villagers upbeat ahead of Trinidad and Tobago PM's visit - Jan 07, 2012