In Madhya Pradesh, new faces lucky for BJPDecember 15th, 2008 - 5:43 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Dec I5 (IANS) Gambling on new faces proved to be a boon for the Madhya Pradesh’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) though it was unfruitful for the Congress in the just concluded assembly elections. The BJP’s success rate with new faces has been above 60 percent, party leaders said, pointing out that they had fielded 88 such candidates and 55 of them won.
The state capital also saw a number of first-timers fielded by the BJP and except for Alok Sharma from the Bhopal North constituency, all of them won. They include Vishwas Sarang, Dhruv Narayan Singh, Jitendra Daga and Brahmanand Ratnakar.
In the commercial capital Indore, the new entrants who tasted success include district BJP president Sudarshan Gupta, PWD Minister Kailash Vijayvargiya’s close lieutenant Ramesh Mendola, late legislator Laxman Singh Gaud’s wife Malini Gaud and Jitu Jirati who defeated state youth Congress president Jitu Patwari.
Arvind Bhadoria of BJP defeated Congress stalwart Satyadev Katare from Ater.
On the other hand, the Congress fielded 131 fresh faces but only 22 of them were able to make it to the assembly. They were Suresh Chaudhary, Pradman Singh Tomar, Imarti Devi Suman, Narayan Prajapati, Srikant Dubey, Sanjay Pathak, Lakhan Ghanghoriya, Onkar Singh Markam, Narayan Patta, Sunil Jaiswal, Rao Udaipratap Singh, Mer Singh Chaudhary, Dharmu Singh, Bhagwan Singh, Hemraj Kalpani, Xavier Meda, Veer Singh Bhuria, Balsingh Meda, Pratap Grewal, Laxmi Devi Kharari and Brijendra Singh.
- Congress leader alleges death threat - Apr 28, 2010
- Usha Nadkarni to play 'sutradhar' - Apr 06, 2012
- Legislator was on his legs for 12 hours to help India win - Mar 31, 2011
- Dynasty rules in Madhya Pradesh by-polls - Jan 31, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh bypoll turns prestige issue for Congress, BJP - Jun 24, 2011
- Congress wins two bypolls, BJP drubbed in Karnataka (Roundup) - Dec 04, 2011
- Girl kills herself after gangrape, police in denial mode - Mar 22, 2011
- Horse trading: Premises of 14 Jharkhand MLAs raided - May 18, 2012
- Shehla murder: Congress demands arrest of BJP legislator - Apr 12, 2012
- Mass migration from Chhattisgarh villages after shootout - Jul 07, 2012
- Assembly elections: Winners and losers (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- CBI visits Shehla Masood's house with shooter - Mar 11, 2012
- BJP MLA to be put through lie detector test in Masood murder case - Mar 09, 2012
- 'Tainted' BJP leader files Rajya Sabha papers - Mar 19, 2012
- It is mixed bag for politicians' kin in Madhya Pradesh polls - Dec 14, 2008