In-house support for para athletes in Games VillageOctober 2nd, 2010 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 2 (IANS) Providing assistance and relief to the para athletes participating in the Commonwealth Games beginning Sunday, a shop in the Games Village is carrying out repairs and replacements of wheelchairs and prosthetic limbs — absolutely free!
The shop, managed by German prosthetics company Otto Bock Healthcare India Private Limited, is located in the International Zone.
“We opened shop here Sep 24 and have been regularly getting athletes. Most of the complaints are with the wheelchairs and prosthesis. All were satisfied with our service,” said Mohit Mudgal, an attendant at the shop.
In the last eight days, the shop has got more than 20 athletes from various countries including Kenya, England and Nigeria.
“We are repairing the wheelchairs or prosthesis but we can replace them if there is a need,” he added.
Otto Bock have also been appointed as the official “Para-Sport Services Provider” for the Oct 3-14 mega event.
Para athletes from 26 countries will be participating in four disciplines — athletics, swimming, table tennis and powerlifting. As many as 15 gold medals are up for grabs for para athletes.
- Around 1,300 CWG athletes, officials arriving Friday - Oct 01, 2010
- Olympics: Pistorius denied run as South Africa crash out of relay - Aug 09, 2012
- 10 Indians for Paralympic Games - Aug 28, 2012
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Vijay, Yogeshwar honoured with Khel Ratna; 25 get Arjuna - Aug 29, 2012
- Paraplegic Deepa aims for medal at World Games - Dec 02, 2011
- 36 Indian shooters will be targetting 120 CWG medals - Aug 25, 2010
- Disability is no hurdle for archer Brown - Oct 01, 2010
- CWG schedule: Day eight of competitions - Oct 11, 2010
- Cuban Fernandez, Yashvir to get Dronacharya Award - Aug 24, 2012
- Wheelchairs arrive, para table tennis team aim for gold in CWG - Sep 29, 2010
- Paralympics: Chinese fencers shine, Australian swimmer wins sixth gold - Sep 05, 2012
- Video show captures unforgettable CGW moments - Oct 15, 2010
- Aussie swimmers told to fly back if they feel unsafe - Sep 06, 2010
- 1,150 athletes to arrive Wednesday - Sep 29, 2010
Tags: commonwealth games, disciplines, eight days, england, gold medals, grabs, india private limited, international zone, kenya, New Delhi, nigeria, otto bock healthcare, prosthetic limbs, replacements, services provider, sport services, table tennis, wheelchairs