In delhi, nearly all rapes are by relatives, neighboursJanuary 6th, 2012 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 6 (IANS) It is mostly relatives, neighbours and acquaintances who are involved in rapes in the national capital, whereas the indulgence of strangers in this brazen crime is staggeringly low, according to police.
According to Delhi Police officials, in 2011, 97.54 percent of the rape accused were either the relatives or acquaintances or neighbours of the victim.
The involvement of strangers in rape cases was only 2.46 percent.
“It is mostly the relatives or the acquaintances of the rape victim who commit this crime,” said Delhi Police Commissioner B.K. Gupta at a press conference Friday.
- Indo-Asian News Service
- Crime up slightly, women's safety, terror top agenda: Delhi Police (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2012
- Delhi equally unsafe by day for women, says study - Sep 23, 2011
- Delhi witnesses four percent surge in crime - Jan 06, 2012
- Two more arrested for AIIMS medical test racket - Jan 13, 2012
- Delhi safe, but avoid late nights: Police chief (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Don't venture out late night: Police chief tells Delhiites - Jul 09, 2011
- Activists and journalists condemn Syed Kazmi's arrest - Mar 10, 2012
- Dikshit tells civic agencies to gear up for monsoon - Jun 13, 2011
- As Delhi sizzles, power demand reaches to all-time high (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Chinese province hit by sex crimes - Apr 24, 2012
- Minor raped by neighbour in Delhi - Jul 16, 2012
- Dawood aide Iqbal Mirchi held in London: CBI - Oct 11, 2011
- Sexual crimes on the rise in Malaysia - Aug 01, 2010
- Humid and sultry weekend in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 21, 2011
- Minor set afire for resisting rape, one held - Sep 01, 2011
Tags: acquaintances, asian news, delhi police, gsh, indo, indulgence, k gupta, neighbours, New Delhi, news service, police commissioner, police officials, rape cases, rape victim, rapes, relatives, rg