In Britain, just one in four meals is home-cookedNovember 27th, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 27 (IANS) It seems the fast-food or meals-on-the-go lifestyle is steadily overwhelming Britain’s lifestyle, with just one in four meals being now cooked at home.
According to a research by kitchen appliance maker Kenwood, one in seven Britons do not feel confident enough to cook a meal from scratch, the Daily Mail reported.
Men are far less confident in the kitchen than women with 16 percent feeling hapless behind a stove compared to 12 percent of the fairer sex.
The survey, which revealed under 35 people find cooking more stressful than the older generations, also found that the home cooking has been dropping by 30 percent since the 1980s.
Director of marketing at Kenwood Mark Swift said: “It’s a great shame to discover the extent to which cooking from scratch is on the decline.
“Such a drop is having a huge affect on our cookery confidence and ability in the UK.”
He said cooking from scratch is a great way to de-stress and it’s also an important way to teach children about correct nutrition.
A recent survey found British women are the most overweight in Europe, and British men are the second most overweight.
A quarter of women are obese, so fat that it threatens their health, it revealed.
- One in twenty Brit women don't know how to boil even an egg - May 03, 2011
- Women spend nearly 3 years of their lives cooking - Aug 11, 2010
- Why can't wives cook the mothers' way - Mar 16, 2012
- Now children are cooking their first meal 5-yrs earlier than their parents did - Feb 16, 2011
- Adverts that won't be allowed today - Feb 20, 2012
- Stove fumes as big a killer as AIDS - Dec 17, 2010
- Cook, chomp, hog - food channels on small screen menu - Dec 29, 2010
- Middle class professionals 'more likely to binge drink' - Jan 28, 2011
- 40pc of Brits prefer their mums' home cooking to anyone else's - Aug 31, 2010
- Roberts named global ambassador for UN campaign - May 07, 2011
- UK is world's second fattest nation - Sep 24, 2010
- Eco-friendly stove a boon for rural women (With Image) - Jul 25, 2012
- Canada's cancer death rate declines - May 10, 2012
- Scantily-clad women an office nuisance? - Aug 30, 2011
- Men like cooking in the nude - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: 1980s, appliance maker, british men, british women, britons, confidence, cooking from scratch, correct nutrition, daily mail, decline, director of marketing, extent, fairer sex, fast food, four meals, generations, home cooking, kitchen appliance, shame, swift