In Britain, it snowed on DiwaliOctober 29th, 2008 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 29 (IANS) British Hindus celebrated a White Diwali amid unseasonal snowfall Tuesday, but refused to allow the chill to dampen spirits.Snowflakes mixed with fireworks as up to two inches of snow settled in parts of Britain - a rare occurrence in October - and nighttime temperatures fell to minus four degrees Celsius in the eastern parts of the country.
Thousands of homes in Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire were left without power after the cold weather damaged high voltage cables.
But tens of thousands of Hindus poured out of their homes in Asian-inhabited areas of London and its suburbs to shop and eat out on lamp-lit high streets.
And a note of warmth was added by the Archbishop of Canterbury, the head of the Church of England, in his traditional Diwali message to the Hindu community.
“In both Christianity and Hinduism, we dedicate times of the year to the renewal of our lives and of our faith,” Rowan Williams said Tuesday.
“We seek to reflect on what has gone before and to reconnect with the light which lies within us and which is at the heart of all that is,” he said.
“My hope for this year ahead is that in this spirit of looking to the light, we shall be able to find reconciliation where there has been division and hurt; to work for peace and the rejection of all resort to violence…” Williams added.
- Hindus laud Archbishop of Canterbury for 'joyful' Diwali wishes - Nov 12, 2010
- Royal couple to get pre-marital counselling - Dec 09, 2010
- Canterbury Archbishop hails Indian secularism - Oct 15, 2010
- Pope in London on second leg of Britain visit - Sep 17, 2010
- Like Diana, Kate Middleton too may not pledge to 'obey' hubby - Mar 27, 2011
- Kate may not pledge to 'obey' William - Mar 26, 2011
- Archbishop of Canterbury calls slain Pak Christian minister 'a martyr' - Mar 08, 2011
- Gay bishops are OK if they remain celibate: Archbishop of Canterbury - Sep 26, 2010
- Obama visit will reflect Diwali spirit: envoy - Nov 04, 2010
- Obama wishes Indians 'Happy Diwali and Saal Mubarak' - Oct 27, 2011
- Hindus critical of university tuition hike in UK - Dec 10, 2010
- Archbishop OF Cantebury to undertake 16-day visit of India - Oct 08, 2010
- Olympics: Queen 'Bonds' with Craig at opening ceremony - Jul 28, 2012
- US Senate greets Indian diaspora on Diwali - Oct 26, 2011
- Easter Sunday Sermon Becomes Podium For Resolving Differences Over Catholic Church Sex Scandal - Apr 04, 2010