Imtiaz Ali brings Kashmiri wedding rituals on screenOctober 15th, 2011 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 15 (IANS) After showcasing Punjabi wedding celebrations in his films “Jab We Met” and “Love Aaj Kal”, filmmaker Imtiaz Ali has shifted his camera’s focus to Kashmiri Pandit wedding rituals for his forthcoming release “Rockstar”.
The director, who wanted to keep the movie’s screenplay as authentic as possible, shot the scene featuring a Kashmiri Pandit wedding complete with all its rituals and traditions after a lot of research, a statement said Saturday.
Ali had asked the movie’s line producer to allow him meet a Kashmiri Pandit family. He visited the family, whose house was located in a small Hindu settlement in Srinagar, and sat with them to understand the nitty-gritties of their weddings.
From the way food is served in the tram (copper plates) to the traditional Dejhor which is Kashmiri jewellery worn in the ears (symbol of a married woman) along with the shaneel fyran (velvet dress/outfit), the intricate henna patterns and the tarang (cap) that the girl wears during the wedding rituals - Ali took care to research it all.
Imtiaz and the team also walked to Srinagar’s popular Kheer Bhawani temple, met the priest and watched his daughter’s wedding video to have a visual understanding of the rituals.
Even for the bridal dress, designers Manish Malhotra and Aki Narula roamed around the streets for hours to get the perfect traditional attire.
To add more authenticity to the shoot, the locals who were part of the scene were given full freedom to inform the filmmaker if anything was amiss.
Starring Ranbir Kapoor and newcomer Nargis Fakhri, “Rockstar” will release Nov 11. It is co-produced by Shree Ashtavinayak Cinevision and Eros International.
A major part of the film’s shooting has taken place at locations in Kashmir.
- Kashmiri treat for Imtiaz Ali, Rahman - Aug 31, 2011
- 'Rockstar' earns Rs 64 crore, Shabana terms it a new beginning - Nov 14, 2011
- 'Rockstar' is soul stirring: Anurag Kashyap - Nov 11, 2011
- Nargis denies signing Nikhil Advani's film - Mar 06, 2012
- I'm never satisfied with my work: Imtiaz Ali - Aug 02, 2012
- 'Rockstar' team rocks at Nizamuddin dargah - Sep 20, 2011
- Ranbir-Imtiaz-Rahman come together again - Sep 08, 2012
- 'Rockstar' fails to pull heartstrings, but Ranbir wows (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ** 1/2) - Nov 11, 2011
- Big B looking forward to new addition in family - Nov 13, 2011
- 'Rockstar' title can go against film: Ranbir - Oct 20, 2011
- Priyanka misses family on Diwali (Movie Snippets) - Oct 25, 2011
- Kashmiri Pandits' sense of security to be restored: Omar - Mar 22, 2011
- Madhavan excited about much awaited break (Movie Snippets) - Mar 09, 2012
- Imtiaz Ali attends Bhojpuri film's premiere in Patna - Dec 12, 2011
- Kashmiri flowers gulaala, giltoor inspire Manish Malhotra's collection - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: aki narula, ashtavinayak, bridal dress designers, cinevision, copper plates, dress outfit, eros international, forthcoming release, full freedom, henna patterns, imtiaz, kheer, line producer, punjabi wedding, ranbir kapoor, s line, traditional attire, velvet dress, wedding celebrations, wedding rituals