Imran fears suicide attacks if NATO supply resumesApril 14th, 2012 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 14 (IANS) Pakistani cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan Saturday said he feared suicide attacks across the country following the reopening of the NATO supply routes to Afghanistan through Pakistani territory.
The Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chairperson said that if, as a response to the reopening of the NATO routes, there was any suicide attack in the country, the common people would have to bear the cost, Dawn News reported.
The routes were closed after a NATO air strike at a Pakistan Army border post in November last year killed 24 soldiers.
Imran’s remarks came after the parliament reached a consensus not to allow arms to be supplied via Pakistan to Afghanistan, but gave a green signal for resumption of non-lethal supplies like food and medicine.
“How will this resolution benefit the people of Pakistan as over 40,000 Pakistanis have died in the US-led war on terror, while the country (Pakistan) incurred a loss of $50 billion during the last four years,” Imran was quoted as saying by the Daily Times.
“The Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf will not accept restoration of NATO supply routes. It is not simply a matter of money. It is a matter of extricating Pakistan from this war which is not Pakistan’s war at all and which has aggravated terrorism in Pakistan,” he said.
- Pak suspends NATO supplies to Afghanistan due to protests against US drone attacks - Apr 24, 2011
- Pakistanis protest against US drone strikes - Apr 24, 2011
- Imran Khan to meet Pakistani-Britons - Jul 12, 2011
- Imran Khan sets 30 days deadline over US drone strikes - Apr 25, 2011
- Zardari addressed 'his masters', not parliament: Imran - Mar 23, 2011
- Cut aid to Pakistan: Imran urges Britain - Sep 26, 2011
- Pakistan fast slipping into chaos: Imran - Jul 31, 2011
- Allegations against CJI aimed to paralyse judiciary: Imran - Jun 14, 2012
- Allegations against Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry aimed to paralyse judiciary: Imran (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Ten injured in grenade attack at Imran's rally - Feb 10, 2012
- Imran Khan says he is fighting 'war' to change Pakistan's political scene - Mar 08, 2010
- Won't support coup, opposed to any military action: Imran (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Imran Khan warns of march over drone killings - Jul 15, 2012
- Thousands protest Pakistan's reopening of NATO supply route - Jul 17, 2012
- Obama 'briefly' meets Zardari - May 22, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,