Imposing Buddhist stupa discovered in Bihar (Lead)February 9th, 2009 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 9 (IANS) A huge Buddhist stupa has been discovered in Bihar’s Nalanda district and archaeologists Monday said it could be the second largest such structure in the world.
A team from the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) located the brick stupa at Ghorakatora, about 100 km from here.
“The latest stupa discovered at Ghorakatora is unique as it is second in size only to the Kesaria stupa in East Champaran district. The Kesaria stupa is regarded as the largest Buddhist stupa in the world,” said Sujit Nayan, an archaeologist in charge of the team that made the discovery.
Nayan said the structure was built of random rubble dry stone masonry. The material the stupa is made of had been used to fortify an area of 32 km near the mountain of Rajgir.
The stupa is around 20 to 25 feet high and its circumference is 70 to 75 sq feet, Nayan told IANS by telephone from the excavation site.
“More excavacation is needed to make a final assessment of the stupa,” he added.
According to archaeologists, the find is likely to throw more light on the ancient Nalanda University. The ancient seat of learning is said to have been founded in 5th century AD.
Well-known Chinese scholar Hieun Tsang stayed in Nalanda in the 7th century and left detailed description of the education system and monastic life practised at the university.
- World's second-largest Buddhist stupa discovered in Bihar - Feb 09, 2009
- ASI to excavates ruins near Vikramshila University - Mar 21, 2012
- (After 1)Eighth-century Bihar university set for conservation - Nov 02, 2011
- Like Nalanda, Vikramshila may rise from ruins - Jan 24, 2012
- Temple discovery reveals Indian Buddhism's spread to China - May 08, 2012
- Ancient site in Pakistan found, lost and found again - Aug 25, 2011
- Exacavation on to trace Nalanda varsity's main gateway - Aug 15, 2008
- Bihar stupa could contain Buddha relics - Feb 11, 2012
- NRI Ravi Verma Shooting For Documentary In Bihar With Hollywood Crew - Jan 20, 2011
- Dalai Lama to visit Kashmir excavation site - Nov 14, 2011
- Bihar stupa could contain Buddha relics (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Buddhist relics to be housed in Orissa museum - Apr 25, 2011
- Amartya Sen-headed Nalanda varsity group to meet in Patna - Jul 05, 2011
- Kesaria Buddhist monument in Bihar dilapidated - Dec 19, 2009
- Bihar beckons: NRI shooting documentary with Hollywood crew - Jan 19, 2011