Immigration racket busted in Punjab, 1,200 passports recoveredJune 21st, 2011 - 12:41 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 21 (IANS) Two travel and immigration agents have been arrested in the state’s Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (formerly Nawanshehr) district and 1,219 passports have been seized from them, a police official said Tuesday.
With three other people, they were running an illegal travel and immigration agency, a senior officer said here.
This is the single biggest seizure of passports in the state where the craze among people, especially youth, to immigrate abroad by legal or illegal means is big, police noted.
SBS Nagar district police chief Narinder Bhargava said after the arrest of two people, the police was raiding various places to nab three more members of the immigration racket.
“We received a tip-off that the accused were going to bring a fake visa officer. They had told the prospective immigrants that the visa officer would come to meet them. We nabbed them after laying a trap,” Bhargava said in SBS Nagar, 90 km from Chandigarh.
“The visa officer, tickets and other papers given to the immigrants were all found to be fake. We have recovered 1,219 passports from the possession of these travel agents,” he said.
These travel and immigration agents would lure youths by inserting advertisements in newspapers about jobs in Dubai and other Gulf countries.
They even issued tickets to the prospective immigrants. Police investigations later revealed that all the issued tickets were fake.
- Racket busted in Punjab, 1,200 passports seized (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Chandigarh Police arrest two for tourist visa fraud - Nov 21, 2011
- Five arrested for fake visa-passport racket (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Two people held for running visa racket - Sep 24, 2010
- Three arrested for human trafficking - Sep 16, 2011
- Britain seeks Punjab help to check illegal migration - Aug 24, 2010
- Chandigarh immigration firm under police scanner - Aug 21, 2011
- Major immigration fraud uncovered in Punjab - Jul 03, 2011
- Five arrested for fake visa-passport racket - Feb 17, 2012
- Three held for human trafficking - Jun 29, 2010
- Canada seeks action against travel agents - Sep 10, 2010
- 'Largest' immigration firm on police radar - Feb 21, 2012
- Travel agents arrested for issuing tickets against fake visas - Jul 07, 2010
- A factory for fake visas in Bangladesh - Sep 23, 2011
- Six Myanmar nationals detained in Orissa - Aug 14, 2010
Tags: advertisements, district police, gulf countries, immigration agency, immigration agents, jobs, june 21, newspapers, passports, police chief, police investigations, police official, possession, prospective immigrants, seizure, shaheed bhagat singh, travel agents, visa officer