Immigration agents’ offices sealed in ChandigarhFebruary 2nd, 2012 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 2 (IANS) Offices of 20 agencies who were dealing in the multi-million rupee business of sending people to other countries by procuring work permits were sealed here Thursday for operating without licence, police said.
Two people were also arrested.
“We found that these companies were running their business by sending aspirants abroad on work permit visa without obtaining license from the PoE (Protector of Emigrants). These agents have been charging exorbitant amounts, ranging from Rs.7-8 lakh. These agencies are not even registered,” Chandigarh’s Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Naunihal Singh told reporters here.
“As per the rules, only Rs.25,000 or 45-day salary of the applicant can be charged by the agent. We have booked these firms under various sections of IPC (Indian Penal Code) and Immigration Act,” he said.
Police also seized the records and documents of the agents, including their computers.
A leading immigration consultancy, Worldwide Immigration Consultancy Services (WWICS), whose office was also sealed in Sector 22, later claimed that it dealt only in permanent residency for professionals, business persons and study visa for students.
“WWICS India does not deal in work permits for any country at all and thus does not fall under the preview of labour licence requirement under the Act. The same details have been submitted to the SSP-Chandigarh,” WWICS chairman and managing director B.S. Sandhu said here.
- 'Largest' immigration firm on police radar - Feb 21, 2012
- CBI raids over illegal human trafficking - Apr 22, 2011
- New emigration law to safeguard interests of Indians abroad - Mar 25, 2010
- 11 officials booked for illegal emigration in six years - Aug 05, 2010
- Punjabi youth stranded in Libya after being promised jobs - Nov 25, 2010
- MOIA to amend rules for emigration job ads after terror plot - Nov 17, 2009
- Australia, Canada change immigration rules - Jun 28, 2010
- Over 53 Indians stranded in Libya, says NGO - Nov 23, 2010
- Canada to allow skilled immigrants without degrees - Feb 25, 2011
- Canada offering avenues for Indian investors - Nov 16, 2009
- Overseas Indian affairs ministry rapped for inadequate data - May 08, 2012
- Chandigarh Police arrest two for tourist visa fraud - Nov 21, 2011
- Parents worried about Punjabi youths stranded in Libya - Feb 25, 2011
- 'The Raven'- compelling film with inconsistent end (IANS Movie Review) - May 19, 2012
- John Cusack to Play Edgar Allan Poe in 'The Raven' - Aug 31, 2010
Tags: business persons, consultancy services, exorbitant amounts, feb 2, immigration act, immigration agents, India, indian penal code, labour, managing director, permanent residency, poe, rupee, salary, sandhu, study visa, superintendent, work permits, worldwide immigration consultancy, wwics