I’m carrying hopes of millions of people: Miss IndiaJuly 11th, 2008 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 11 (IANS) Parvathy Omanakuttan, India’s representative at the Miss World beauty pageant, says she is carrying the hopes of millions of her compatriots to the contest and is confident of returning with the crown. “I have the confidence to win the crown but I am not over confident as this can mess up everything. I will give my 100 percent to bring the crown back to India,” Parvathy told reporters here Friday.
“At the pageant, I will be carrying hopes of millions of people - my family, fans and friends. So I am nervous but excited at the same time,” she said after inaugurating a jewellery showroom here.
“The most important factor is that at the pageant I will be representing India and not myself. So this adds to the responsibility,” Parvathy added.
The Miss World 2008 pageant will be held October 4 at Kiev in the Ukraine. India last won the title in 2000, when Priyanka Chopra was crowned Miss World.
India has always been a stronger contender at international pageants due to the rigorous selection process that ensures that only the most attractive and intelligent participants represent the country.
“Indian contestants have always left lasting impressions in the minds of the people. Indian beauties provide tough competition and the key formula for winning is to stay calm, focused and just be yourself,” Parvathy maintained.
On being asked about her preparations for D-day, Parvathy chuckled.
“Apart from normal skin and hair care measures, I am taking diction classes from (speech therapist) Sabira Merchant and this is adding a lot to my personality.”
After the contest, will it be Bollywood calling for Parvathy too?
“I will not comment now, but if a good offer comes my way, then why not?” she answered.
- Fiji gets new Indian beauty queen - Sep 12, 2012
- I'm focussed on Miss World title: Vanya Mishra - Jun 23, 2012
- Models bypass pageants for straight road to Bollywood - Aug 23, 2012
- Share your beauty tips, Vanya urges women (With Images) - Jul 03, 2012
- (after 1)International titles evade Indian girls -- wonder why? - Sep 14, 2011
- Will Parvathy Omanakuttan fetch Miss World crown? - Dec 10, 2008
- No Bollywood plans as yet: Vasuki Sunkavalli (With Image) - Jul 18, 2011
- No favouritism at beauty pageants: Miss Earth Nicole Faria - Nov 14, 2011
- Femina Miss India pageant enters 50th year - Sep 18, 2012
- Indore girl wins Miss Asia Pacific 2012 (With Images) - Jun 19, 2012
- Miss World preparations need full concentration: Pooja Chopra (Interview) - May 31, 2009
- India has more beauty queens than most countries: Diana - Jun 14, 2012
- Beauty queens jazz up Archana Kochhar's LFW show - Aug 17, 2011
- 'Umrao Jaan' is Manasvi Mamgai's dream role - Aug 22, 2010
- I want to do a raunchy item number: Sushmita (With image) - Jul 13, 2011